Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a bench from Paul Sellers book

Building a bench from Paul Sellers book

Well, I saw Paul Sellers speak at the woodworking show in VA last weekend. I had been following him on the internet for a while now. I purchased his book and it has a chapter on how to build the bench he was using at the show. I gave it a good look and thought it was something I could work with. I have been planning a bench for a while and had gotten as far as cutting down 2 2x12x16's to 64' and placing them on a pair of workmates. I know lazy . Well reading this chapter of the book and seeing that I basically had the exact wood needed to build it I started. Paul's bench has a 10 1/2 inch solid 3.5 inch top of laminated pine and a well at about 12". He also seems to like it high as it is 38" high. I am going lower and swapping the well and bench sizes to give me a 13 1/2" solid top with 9 " well. I can't seem to find a pic of Paul's workbench online but if you Google Paul Sellers workbench it brings you to a youtube vid that shows it. Here are a few shots of my glue up. I'll post more as I progress.

Thanks, John

bench1.jpgbench2.jpg

Now that's a workshop!

Nothing lazy about the planks on sawhorse design. It's flexible, and easy to build.
    Shoptime spent on making tools is gone forever. Shoptime invested in furniture is a legacy.

I love the parallel glue lines on the floor - just like my shop!

is it kind of like this?

okay that didn't work try this link. http://www.newlegacywoodworking.com/...ench-assembly/
    Last edited by Mark Dorman; 03-07-2012 at 7:13 PM.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Paul sellers

I never heard of the guy till the recent posts but his u tubes look great. I wonder about a school east of saratoga springs ny. I love that area and go to the adirondacks twice a year but still.....maybe they did an in-depth study. But then i guess Roy underhills packing them in.

The accent has "sizzle"...

I'm a Connecticut Valley WW school fan, my own self...
    I think you should consider the housing costs, for any school you plan to visit.

Blog Entries
    Paul was one of the founders of the school at Homestead Heritage near Waco Texas. If Paul is still in England, it's difficult for those of us in the Staes to attend.

The school at Waco is teaching the same methods that Paul teaches. You might want to look into the school in Waco. The woodworkers there have prize winning work out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Shoptime spent on making tools is gone forever. Shoptime invested in furniture is a legacy.
    I don't agree with this statement at all.
    The Plane Anarchist

Yes Jim it is a mess. Those are not glue lines it is a new high tech non slip flooring the Borg is selling . Mark, yes that is the bench I am building and from your links it looks like he has modified his dimensions as well. Looks like he is going even wider with the top and smaller with the well than I am The beauty of this design is I can easily add a few more inches to the top any time I want by taking from the well space. Lowell, Paul is opening a school in upstate NY. Going to work on the legs this morning.
    Last edited by john davey; 03-08-2012 at 6:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Do tell. I'm clearly in the minority, and an admitted hack.
    What I don't know (in my ignorance) is why I'm wrong.

Perhaps a thread devoted to the topic is appropriate?

Any geese, this year? They didn't even fly by, in these parts.
    Our Winter, wasn't.

jim
    wpt, ma

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I believe there are plenty of high quality tools made that take as much time and skill to make as furniture. Lots of examples of infill planes and handsaw that deserve to be passed down to heirs. Teaching the "youngins" to use the tools build by their "elders" and even more , how to make these tools only adds to the legacy. I don't disagree that furniture can be a legacy also but I don't consider building tools to be a waste of shop time.

Geese, just beginning to see some come back north. Mostly Canadians, no Snows or Blues yet. I don't know how far south they went to winter though. Where are you at?
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Neither do I. Not that I get excited about benches.

Furniture itself is just another tool. It just doesn't get used in the shop.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dorman View Post
    is it kind of like this?okay that didn't work try this link. http://www.newlegacywoodworking.com/...ench-assembly/
    That bench doesn't look heavy enough to me. Maybe I need to sharpen my saw a bit, but I have a bench somewhat like it, but I have a larger bench and I can rock it if I clamp a board vertically to rip, but I'm interested in building a new so I will check out the video.

I'm coming off my first bench and decided it doesn't optimize to the way I work. Google "Bob and Dave's Good Fast Cheap Bench". Forget that just click this. It's not a bad bench to start out with, but I made it too small and I hate the tool tray. I did a miserable job on it, but it's heavy and easily changed. I added a leg vise and would like a wagon vice, but if I do that I might was well start over and correct some fundamental problems like the miserable job I did on the dog holes.

Now I want something that will improve my workflow a bit and look much nicer.

Bryan, you are most likely right that it will not be as heavy as others. But if you look at my pictures I am kinda limited on space and this is dimensioned to fit my space well. I just cut the legs out of the boards that I did not use on the top. Good reason to not sue them on the top as they are bananas and I would lose to much planing them straight. So I need another board to finish this. I will cut up an apron to finish the legs and get another to replace the apron. It's all just 2x12 borg lumber.

Any geese, this year? They didn't even fly by, in these parts.
    Our Winter, wasn't.

jim
    wpt, ma
    Jim, where are you at? You want geese, Canada geese? Come to Michigan and we will fill a truck up for you, maybe even throw in a few live ones, they are less welcome than rats here, and wont go away.
    Mike
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 03-08-2012 at 1:25 PM.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

When I made that comment, I was looking at the picture in Mark's link. Yours looks to be 2x4's. A good solid base should make that heavier.