Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer & Cabinet Maker Complete!!!!

Jointer & Cabinet Maker Complete!!!!

Whew!!! One year and 3 months later I am done with this chest of drawers. I don't get in the shop much in a given week. It is not exactly to the book, but it is built with the same methods (mostly). Confessions (not apologies) first. I used my circular saw and bandsaw for sizing the rough-cut lumber. Only hand tools after the boards were about the right size (all surfacing and joinery). I used plywood for the drawer bottoms and the panels for the frame and panel back. Everything else was solid wood (mostly cherry, some maple, cypress, and cedar).

Now good stuff - I HIGHLY recommend the book from Lost Art Press, The Jointer & Cabinet Maker. This was my first case-piece, ever. This was the most complicated thing I have made from wood. The next was the schoolbox on top (also from the book). Anyway, the book was great for a beginner. For true beginners, I also suggest The Essential Woodworker (LAP) as a great compliment.

Other notes
    The Cherry was a craigslist find. Sawn from a tree close-by in MS. All from 1 log. Air dried. $1/bf. Lots of scrap, but the good boards were REALLY good.

The top is 2 pieces. Both from the same board. One is about 16in wide.

The drawer fronts are all 1 piece. The all have cathedral grain that points in the same direction. The top has the same pattern.

Only hardware are big knobs from LV. Heavy brass.

The base is not according to the book. It is a M&T frame with an arched front to match a bed I made 5 years ago.

The box was my first experiment in dovetails. This chest was the second. I am still slow, but they look much better now.

I hope that these pictures will motivate some people to jump in and take on pieces that they are not "qualified" to build. I was certainly not qualified to build this. Next up - a proper tool cabinet. Hopefully that will not take a full year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Just a few more pictures. Any non-critical comments are welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...

Forgot to mention sizes. The drawers are 8in, 10in, 10in, and 12in deep. 20 in deep chest and about 59in tall. I made up the drawer sizes to fit the boards that I wanted to use. For the record, 12in deep drawers are too deep. My wife requested deeper than normal drawers. Next time 10in is the max.

Beautiful! Excellent!! All the superlatives apply.

Beautiful work.

That is some really nicely grained cherry; nice that it is local, too!

Great looking box, too.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great job Bob. If you weren't qualified to build this when you started, you are now.

Nice looking chest of drawers - great job!

I have one criticism: It's not at my house.

Beautiful work!

-Tom Stenzel

Nice job. I'm reading the book now and am just finishing the section where Thomas builds this chest of drawers. There is an episode of Saint Roy where the Scharwz is talking about the book and going through all the "exercises" it contains. Never had any desire to do anything strictly with hand tools, but the projects from this book are tempting just to add some practical skills to my personal tool set.

Looks great, Bob. Really nice tidy work.

Awesome!!! Are the drawer sides cypress? Any pics of the inside of the carcass?

13. Fantastic work with a beautiful outcome! Great job!

Looks great, love it! What's the finish?

That is a fine looking chest. You should be very proud.