Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer & Cabinet Maker Complete!!!!

Lovely work.

Very, very nice!

Beautiful chest! It just glows.

I haven't seen a better chest since Racquel Welch...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Wow. Great work. Very inspiring! Makes me want to build my way through the book.

For the 2nd time doing dovetails those look very good. Very nice.
    Don

Bob,
    Nice job! Looks great and a piece of furniture you will look back on and smile

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Barrett; 03-21-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    For the 2nd time doing dovetails those look very good. Very nice.
    Agreed! Did you keep the same overall dimensions as the chest of drawers in the book? Your version looks taller than I was envisioning from the illustrations in J&C. Regardless, the workmanship is beautiful!
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Looks great! I love that book, it really is worthwhile.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Thanks for all of the kind comments. Let me try to answer the questions raised.

The finish is 4 coats of BLO. I wiped it on, waited about 5 minutes, and wiped it off really well. If I left any built up on the surface it makes it "sticky". I wiped on and off with old t-shirts. I stopped at 4 coats because it looked right to me. Talk about a fool-proof finish. FYI - I did not scrape or sane any surface. Planing everything with the same bevel angle seems to make cherry look better to me.

The drawer sides are cypress. I wrote a thread a while back explaining how I made them from strips cut from a 2 in think board. I did that to get QS stock. I wasted a bit to get stable boards, but the end result is pretty nice. I used maple for the runners inside the case.

The dimensions are very different from the book. I made mine taller and not as wide, based on what my wife wanted and the wall space available in our bedroom.

Thanks again everyone!
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Outstanding project Bob. One question though. How much reveal is around the drawers? From the pictures they look really tight. Congrats on being able to get them to fit properly with such a small reveal and are you at all worried about expansion making them stick?
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

The drawers have very little clearance. They slide freely, but with no "slack" on the sides. I am going to watch them closely this summer. I made each one oversized a touch and planned them to fit by hand. It took a while.

Bob,

Excellent work and very inspiring.
    Whats even more creditable is how you were able to find the time/energy with your young kids around!

One question - since I have not read the book - whats the drawer slide mechanism?

Blog Entries
    Very Nice work Bob! In particular, I really like the way you chose and arranged boards to really show off that beautiful local cherry! Congratulations --I'm sure this is a piece that you and your family will be proud to have in your house for many years to come.

Bob thanks for sharing your work and the recommendation about the book -- I wasn't aware of it. I really like the Lost Art Press stuff and will definitely check it out based on your recommendation.

BTW, IMHO it is never a mistake to incorporate "design requests" from the Boss into furniture projects. During 20 years of marriage I have found getting the Bosses input and buy-in up front on the current project, makes for a friendlier reception when you come home from the lumberyard/tool store with supplies for the next project!

This comes from a guy whose first few pieces of furniture somehow never found "the right place in the house" and therefore always seem to end up with friends!

All the best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    Just a few more pictures. Any non-critical comments are welcome
    Come on dude what's the fun in that
    but
    1. You did a great job with the dovetails
    2. Drawer fitting is immaculate. Inset drawers are the hardest to align (specially if you are looking at multiples as in a chest) as there is no where to hide you mistakes.
    3. You obviously gave a lot of thought to grain orientation, which shows in the finished product.
    4. Choice of hardware is also good, with the grain this nice you don't want flashy hardware drawing the eye away.

You work at about the same pace as me, you just do better work. Considering the potential of this chest of drawers to span more than one generation the one year construction period is not bad.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 03-21-2012 at 3:43 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.