Thread: Camcorder recommendation...

Camcorder recommendation...

I would like to purchase a camcorder for an upcoming trip and, of course, there are just so many to choose from that it seems daunting that I cannot begin to choose. So I need some help to narrow down some choices in my price range...$200 to $300, if there is even anything good at that price point. thx in advance...chuck

My advise....don't do it. Get a good digital camera (and even that's going to be tricky at that price point.) They'll do video too. But are you honestly going to watch that video. Worse, are you going to make friends and family sit through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    My advise....don't do it. Get a good digital camera (and even that's going to be tricky at that price point.) They'll do video too. But are you honestly going to watch that video. Worse, are you going to make friends and family sit through it?
    that is a very good point...did not think of that...maybe a good digital camera is all i need.

Chuck - Not to pile on, but capturing the content is the easy part. If you want to watch it, or even better yet, share the trip with friends and family, you'll want to edit the footage. There are many video editing software tools available that will help you organize your footage into a nice little story/adventure.

I enjoy the editing process more than the documenting process. Pulling out the camera to capture the moments kind of removes you from the event and puts you on task. Editing the footage is where the creativity aspect of the process enters the picture (horrible pun, and not entirely intended). That is where the 'magic' happens.

And if you think you have enough footage, you probably don't. It's interesting how high ones standards get when you start assembling the images and video. What seemed like a adequate or decent shot may leave you scrambling. DAMHIK.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I personally have had great luck with the Nikon digital cameras. If you are willing to go a little above your price range, the Nikon P500 looks pretty good. Make sure you get something with at least some optical zoom - Digital Zoom isn't really worth the trouble. Take way more film or pictures than you think you will need. My wife does a scrapbook of each of our vacations and last year she went through over 500 photos to find the 40 or so that made it into the book.

I bought a Canon HG20 HiDef camcorder a couple years ago. Takes great videos. I use it mainly to record our senior center productions, then edit them (Using AVS4YOU) to make DVDs.
    A bit out of the range of $200-$300 though.
    Still cameras with video capability is a good suggestion. You may have to look around a bit to find software to view, but that's no biggie.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

disclaimer: I know squat about cameras personally.

A co-worker of mine recently got this: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-outdoor-edition/ The thing I find most amazing about it is that the picture is really really stable compared to other similar cameras I've seen video from (it doesn't claim to have automatic stabilization, but I gotta wonder). Anyway its in the ~upper end of the price range but does up to 1080p and is relatively compact.

Here's a video taken with his of how not to do a jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzjtrYWQFg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Matt brings up a good point. I have hours of video but never watch them. Than again I know I have video of family that has passed and would not trade for anything.
    It is also true what Gregg says about filming takes you out of the moment of the event. I have trained myself to just take a few shots then put away the camera and enjoy the event.

For what it's worth I have a Sony DV camera about 7 years old. It has served me well. I think DV tapes are kinda out dated now, not sure. The only thing I don't like about my Sony , it is made to be compatible with other Sony equipment and if you are trying to use the included software to transfer to non Sony DVD it makes you jump through a bunch of hoops. Other brands may be the same, Not sure.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale