Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you protect your hand saws?

How do you protect your hand saws?

I recently received some great back saws from Mark Harrell over at Bad Axe Toolworks. I got them just before I went on a 10 day business trip so after unpacking and drooling over them I put them on a shelf in my house where they would be safe while I was gone. When I got back I noticed that some rust was starting to appear on the blades albeit very minor. So I quickly took care of it and put some camellia oil on them. So the question I have is what method do other people use/recommend for preventing rust on their saws and maintenance in general?

IMG_7686.jpg IMG_7670.jpg
    Here are some photos of me and my boys and our saws.

Blog Entries
    We are talking new steel here so we don't want to get rough. Never Dull, wadding polishing compound to remove small issues & polish. Renaissance, Micro-Crystalline Wax, for final polish and protection "By Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen". Then you might want to consider making a saw till to keep your saws in, to keep moisture attracting dust and small prying hands off. Never Dull & Renaissance Wax are both available at Highland Woodworking, and I am sure other stores selling quality tools.

Johnson's Paste wax

Boeshield, keeps the saws slick too.

Beeswax or paste wax and use. Best way to keep tools from rusting is to use them, I guess.

On a new saw like that, you'll have a little more work to do keeping them rust free (i.e., you'll have to pay closer attention) than you would an older saw with patina.

+1 Johnson's Paste wax - I put this on all my tools in my garage works great.

Children tend to have pretty moist hands. Some adults do,too. I'd keep such hands off the blades.

When ever I have a visitor who has moist feeling hands in my shop,I am going around and oiling every bare steel surface that they touch.

My own hands are quite neutral and dry,possibly from years of wood working and getting linseed oil on them,but some people will rust everything they touch. I had an apprentice who rusted all my steel rules and vises.

Same with guitar finishes too. Some people seem to sweat lacquer thinner. Other people, like me, can handle a guitar forever with no ill effects.

I'd do mineral oil over Camellia oil to be honest. The Camellia oil seems to gum everything up after a while, including the stupid pump it comes in, and I see absolutely no advantage over mineral oil.

Blog Entries
    +1 for paste wax, especially with the new tool.

As a daily routine, a couple swipes with a block of paraffin canning wax, "thinned" with a little WD-40 and wipe with a rag will keep saws rust free and running smooth. I have three or four blocks of paraffin wax scattered in different places all over the shop to make sure they're always close at hand.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'd do mineral oil over Camellia oil to be honest. The Camellia oil seems to gum everything up after a while, including the stupid pump it comes in, and I see absolutely no advantage over mineral oil.

Ditto that, and I get the sense that some stuff sold as camellia oil has a mineral oil base, anyway. That's just my guess, though.

A farrier's supply place will have mineral oil for about $12 per gallon, and it's useful for other things, like mixing with beeswax.

Thanks for all of the replies. I used the camelia oil because that is what was handy at the time, but I will put some wax on them when I get home. They will get there first real use this weekend (I am in the process of building a new workbench).

Get one of these, for whichever oil you choose. The red cap makes it easy to find.
    A quick swipe before you put things away, and you'll be good to go.

Is that the 16 inch Jack? That's my go-to for a surprising amount of my cutting.
    It's especially good for a starter kerf when making long rips - these things track like they're on rails.

I made a little cantilevered holder for my saws and commonly used bench tools. It is suspended off the back of the bench, with a slot for my two backsaws.
    They're within reach, out of the pathway so I can't bump into them, and can't fall. These things are tough, but I don't want to spend more time sharpening itty-bitty teeth.

jim
    wpt, ma

Am I the only one who does nothing to protect his tools? I've never applied anything to my saws (granted everything I have is restored older saws) or hand planes (which are mostly restored Stanley's or wooden planes, the only shiny plane I have is a Clifton shoulder plane purchased from The Schwarz when he was thinning his herd). I really never have nay rust problems, everything is out in the open in a garage and gets moved around a lot. The only time I had any rust on my tools was when I was forced to store them in a nonairconditioned storage for a year.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    Am I the only one who does nothing to protect his tools? I've never applied anything to my saws (granted everything I have is restored older saws) or hand planes (which are mostly restored Stanley's or wooden planes, the only shiny plane I have is a Clifton shoulder plane purchased from The Schwarz when he was thinning his herd). I really never have nay rust problems, everything is out in the open in a garage and gets moved around a lot. The only time I had any rust on my tools was when I was forced to store them in a nonairconditioned storage for a year.
    I generally do nothing. I just recommend mineral oil over camellia oil these days if someone is so inclined to oil something.

Zahid,you had "Nay rust problems"? I didn't know you were Scottish!!