Thread: Wood choice for patio table

Wood choice for patio table

Hi All,

I need your opinions on choices of wood for a patio table. Do you think Walnut or Cherry would be suitable or do I need to look at the more exotic and expensive options such as Ipe or something similar? The patio does have a roof over it so any water would be wind driven and minimal ?

Thanks for your replies,

Brad
    Brad Chamness

How about white oak?

I really wanted a dark colored wood
    Brad Chamness

Ebonize the white oak.

AFIK most of the dark colored tropical woods will turn silvery or grey after a year or two in weather.

Will these woods not retain their natural color if treated with a preservative?
    Brad Chamness

My experience:

You can treat, or even stain the woods and they will retain their darker color. Pretty much any wood can be stained to the color you want.

If you dont recoat regularly (even if just clear poly), expect them to weather and turn gray over time. So to keep the dark color - you have to plan on another coat of preservative about every other year.

I used Mahogany planks on my deck and its a nice dark red color (also treated with Red colored stain/oil preservative). But I have to redo about every other year. Polyurethane lasts a little longer for me, but still requires recoating from time to time.

If you were in a mild climate and covered you might get by with longer time between recoats.

Walnut is a wood that lasts outside, if you look at the way the logs last laying on the ground. And the stumps last a long time too. So if you have a good source for walnut, it would be great. Don't use any sapwood, as it rots away pretty quickly.

I made mine of white oak. Pick a dark marine grade varnish you like.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Brazilian Cherry aka Jatoba is very nice - hard and the right color and good in the weather :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenaea_courbaril
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

General finishes outdoor oil on cherry will be just fine on a table on a porch. cherry does surprisingly well outside

They use Teak on boats for a reason.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night