Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Cabinet Saw Purchase

First Cabinet Saw Purchase

I am looking for my first cabinet saw, and hopefully last one to purchase. Many candidates exist including he Powermatic PM20003 HP 10" Single Phase Left Tilt Table Saw with 50 Accu-Fence, Rout-R-Lift and Riving Knife ($2804), a Jet Deluxe Xacta, JTAS-10XL50-1DX ($2039), or the Delta 36L352 3 HP Unisaw with 52 Inch Biesemeyer Fence ($2699 after rebate). Less expensive alternatives will be the Grizzly G1023RLX 10" 3 HP 220V Cabinet Left-Tilting Table Saw ($1600) or the General International 50-260R M1 10" Left Tilt 3HP Table Saw ($1639).

The Powermatic and Jet are both on sale for a few days. If memory serves me well the Grizzly saws will go on sale some time late spring but last year they only offered a $50 discount.

I had sent an e-mail to a woodworking forum member with an older Unisaw (2000ish) but no response came. Perhaps I will give that a few more days. Based on some very poor experiences on Craigslist, I don't really want to do business there. I do like old iron though but it seems many of the folks who own it want nearly as much for the older stuff as the newer stuff costs. I do think some of the advances such as a riving knife with table saws are an improvement.

So based on my options, any ideas?

You will get replies all over the place, most of us will recommend what we have or what we lust after. For me if you have decided on a cabinet saw and have the budget to get the top shelf versions the PM2000, New Unisaw and Sawstop PCS/ICS are the only places I would look, maybe adding the General Candadian built 650R.

Me I bought the PM2000 and I am 100% happy with it but likely would have been just as happy with any of the others I mentioned.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The PM2000 being considered has a router table in the extension. It seemed prudent to get that instead of a separate router table. Any thoughts on that?

As Van said, you will have many opinions, I have the jet left tilt xacta with router lift, have had it for 10 yrs and still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    The PM2000 being considered has a router table in the extension. It seemed prudent to get that instead of a separate router table. Any thoughts on that?
    I like the idea and have one in my extension wing. I opted for using an Incra fence and put a Woodpecker router lift in. Point being you can add this (as many do) without buying a package deal allowing you to pick exactly what you want. The all in one solution that PM offers is a good one though.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Hi Rich,

I understand you being uneasy with craigslist. It can work for you though. You can buy a lightly used, well maintained tool at about half the cost of a new one from people that are ok to deal with. Just a couple of pointers I used is I like ad's with pictures of the tool, It's proof of the condition of the tool. I like the pricing on the tool to be in line from the start rather than a seller that sets the price at twice what it should go far and then hagggles downward. Last item is I only buy used tools from the original owners rather than a tool reseller.

It's not that I have a lot of craigslist experience but all of them so far have been ok. I think I've sold a couple of things and bought 1 thing and there were no adjustments in price on any of the transactions.

Comes to used tools keep an eye on the classified ads here at the creek aslo. I've made a few transactions with creekers and all were positive.

As far as new saws the brands mentioned are good ones. Probably Grizzly also. If you can budget a little more go all out and get a Hammer or equal Slider.

I have a 2002 (Or so) Unisaw I bought new and love it.

Good luck with it.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 03-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Yes, another opinion. With the plethora of good pre-owned cabinet saws afloat in the system today, I can't imagine paying retail for a new one.
    Based on some very poor experiences on Craigslist, I don't really want to do business there
    Your money, your machine, your decision. There are good, bad and ugly people selling on craigslist, just the same as with machine tool dealers.

A physician of my acquaintance doesn't do any heavy lifting or craigslist either, so he bought a $3500 + 8.1% sales tax + $100 delivery = $3880 new Delta off the floor at a retail dealer. First, they weren't there with the delivery on the day they promised. Then, when it came, the bumper of the big delivery truck dug a gouge in his steep driveway, the cabinet was dented and the fence and arbor were out of alignment and it had the wrong plug for his 220V outlet. For paying top retail dollar, he also got quite a bit of frustration before he got it up and running.

Because I have a different outlook and situation, for $100 I bought a used Unisaw with surface rust on the table and hauled it home myself. I spent four hours cleaning the table top and rails, aligning the rip fence and table extensions. Our cabinet saws now have similar utility and number of hours invested. I have $3700 with which to buy wood and other tools.

Your results may vary.

Jack,

Glad this thread offered you an opportunity to vent. As stated in the original post, a riving knife (a real one) is one of the reasons for my decision to purchase new. All the manufacturers listed sell through online companies, so no shipping fees (except Grizzly) and no tax are included with the deals. Delivered to the door.

Feel free to tell the next person the errors of his logic as well. Now back on the topic of which of the options offered seems the best choice.

Rich-
    The PM, Unisaw, and Sawstop tend to be the most recommended cabinet saws. I have an SS and am pleased.

That being said, the Grizzlies and Generals get good reviews too. At $500-1000 less than the above, you can EASILY upgrade the fence and dust collection.

I have not used the others, but I will say the single thing I like best about my Sawstop's PERFORMANCE (I'll stay away from safety) is that the riving knife and guard pop in and out with the flick of a lever. That ease of switching makes me more inclined to use them.

All this is to say, I don't believe you can go wrong.

I WILL say that in terms of aftermarket saleability, I see very few newer Uni's, PM's, or SS's. There are several Jets and Grizzlies for sale around me. This *might* tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Rich-
    I have not used the others, but I will say the single thing I like best about my Sawstop's PERFORMANCE (I'll stay away from safety) is that the riving knife and guard pop in and out with the flick of a lever. That ease of switching makes me more inclined to use them.

Of note FWW tested the guard/riving knife issue on all the usual suspects and the new Uni was the best in those areas. The rest of the saws did pretty well except the Grizzly G0651 compared to the others. I have no idea how the G0561 compares to the 690/1 and 1023 but it is more expensive and one would think it would be at least as good as the cheaper models from Grizzly but I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I WILL say that in terms of aftermarket saleability, I see very few newer Uni's, PM's, or SS's. There are several Jets and Grizzlies for sale around me. This *might* tell you something.
    Well it makes me infer that many people are unloading the lesser priced table saws. That might be because more people purchase them because of their price points or because they aren't living up to expectations. I did a random search of all Craigslist through "For Sale Alert" and found exactly what you state. Lots and lots of Jet products and some Grizzly products. Extremely few Powermatics, a few Delta Unisaw models, and almost no Saw Stop units for sale used. Most people want near retail for a new saw with the late model offers. Some want more than current sales and rebates. If I go with Powermatic or Jet, the move will need to come by Saturday. The sale ends then. Thank you for your insights.

Unless you have already you should hit Woodcraft or Rockler and check out the saws. Which one has the best features you like? The Unisaw has been redesigned so maybe having the tilt and height wheel on the front of the saw is more to your liking.
    Don

I would also look at the small sliding saws such as Hammer and MiniMax.

Far greater capabilities/function/capacities in the same size package as a cabinet saw........Rod.

The May 2010 issue of Wood has a review on 3HP cabinet saws that has some of the models you mentioned or similar. Top rating was shared between the Delta 36-L352 and SawStop Professional while the Grizzly G0691 earned best value.

The review also includes the Powermatic PM2000, Jet JTAS-10XL50-1PK, General International 50-300 M1, and a few others. You might find the $4 price tag to download the PDF version a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I built my own and it works great... In the grand scheme of things, it was actually pretty easy to do. I suppose it must be if someone of my modest skills was able to produce one that works pretty well. Of course, I have still not bothered to add t-track to the table, but it is on my list of things to do..... I created my own router fence out of plywood and if I want it to be parallel with my normal fence, I simply move my saw fence over against the fence and clamp to it! :-)