Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry Brandy (AKA NE Bowl on a Stick) Thanx to John and Philip

Another one out of the park, David. The pedestal is beautiful as is the bowl.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Beautiful work David! Very clean detail work on the pedestal! This piece is somewhat larger than I would normally expect from you but it works quite well! The overall effect - to me - is that of an open flower. Very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice flow & details on the pedestal. I'd like to see this one in person to check out the burl bowl. As I look at it for a few minutes I think maybe the bowl might be a little to big, then I think no it looks fine. I can't seem to decide on how I really feel about the bowl. Either way you've executed your turning skills very well on this one.

Thanx for all the comments. Steve, in view of your latest postings, you have very little room to talk about something being "somewhat larger than I would normally expect from you". But you are correct, as is Joe, that the bowl is possibly "too big" for forms of this type which are usually much more delicate. But I wanted to use as much of the burl as possible and it was not really large enough to get two pieces out of. I seriously considered simply letting the bowl stand alone but that seemed too easy...
    David DeCristoforo

Love it, David! Much nicer piece than anything I would have done with the wood. Reminds me of chalices from my Catholic upbringing. Let me know if you need something else, little nicer weather now so I don't mind firing up the saw. Lots of spalted or curly maple and butternut. More and larger cherry burl in the pile too.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Thanx, Philip... for the burl and the offer. I really enjoyed this "little guy" sitting there while I pondered about what it would become...
    David DeCristoforo

Once I got past the wow factor, I was drawn to the subtle highlights in the pedestal. Beautiful lightening on the bulbs. Always enjoy selling your work.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

"Always enjoy selling your work."

Please feel free to sell my work anytime. Hopefully you will do a better job of it than I have...
    David DeCristoforo

WOW love it, you have done it again and brought the bar up another notch. This piece is awsome....