Thread: Sewing Desk

Sewing Desk

OK... So, I've never had the privilege of posting a design concept of a project I'm working on. Mostly, because I've not done a self-designed custom project worth posting before. But now I'm in the midst of a build and it occurred to me it might be fun and informative to post my design concept here. So, I've got three slides I worked up to show the concept. They aren't construction diagrams, just expository design renderings (I put this together in SketchUp and Layout). Before I launch into my descriptions, I'll just note that I've always been a bit hesitant about putting my stuff out there. I admit that I can be a bit resistant, initially, to absorbing critical feedback. But usually, if you provide well-reasoned insight and give me time to mull things over, I can be taught. Anyhow... that said, here goes:

The original concept was based on the Deluxe Sewing Station plans that Rockler sells. However, those plans call for sheet good style cabinetry and I wanted to do it in hard woods using traditional mortise and tenon joinery. So basically, this is a completely custom design with a couple of concepts borrowed from the Rockler plans (basically the extension wings, which are not longer on hinges I might add).

I become so obsessed during the design phase that I would often continue working on the model in my dreams. That's when I knew it was time to get to the building phase quicker. When I can't let go of a project when I'm sleeping, I've usually reached the limits of productivity. In short, aesthetics is a personal thing, so if it's not your style please don't dwell on that. However, if something about the aesthetics appears to compromise the integrity of its function and construction, I would like to know that. As pedestrian and unoriginal as the aesthetics maybe, they're enough to make me happy right now.

The materials are Quartersawn White Oak in two different finishes. The lightest part is simply an oil finish, no stain. The main frame elements are going to be fumed to a darker color (med to dark brown). And then the accents and embellishments are going to be done in an ebonized walnut. These parts include the dovetailed "racing stripes", the dovetail inserts (on the table top), and then the exposed splines and decorative plugs. Although I think it should look pretty good, I'm probably breaking tradition a bit with three wood tones and mixing walnut with Quartersawn White Oak... but it's a risk I'm willing to take! (unless you know a really good reason I shouldn't.

I'm not being much of a traditionalist and I've kind of mixed up some Stickley elements (dove tails throughout, which are both functional and decorative) along with some Greene and Greene embellishments (traditional cloud lift rails and some splines and plugs for accenting). The design went through several iterations (some of them quite complicated). Over time I whittled it down and made it simpler, without getting rid of all the fun embellishments. It was fun to design, but has been even more fun to finally start building. I hope you enjoy the drawings. And if people have technical questions, I'd be glad to post more drawings of a technical nature, as well.

Cheers,
    Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent!

Nice work on the SketchUp and the LayOut stuff. Your presentation really gives a "wow factor" to it.

I built a sewing desk, and spent a bit of time up front working out the ergonomics. I mocked up the top to see how high the table should be, and how far from the edges of the top the sewing machine should sit. It turned out that the owner strongly preferred that the machine be further away from the front edge than most sewing desks put it. She wanted to arrange the cloth to be sewn on the desk, not in her lap. Made sense to me.

Also, you might consider putting the serger on a swing-up lift like http://www.wwhardware.com/rev-a-shel...rsras-ml-hdcr/

@Dave... thank you. For better or for worse, my SU and LO skills far exceed my actual woodworking skills. It probably has to do with fear and the cost of making mistakes in real life vs. the cost of dreaming it all up.

@Jaime... I'd been thinking about one of those lifts. Right now the only two draw backs are the cost of the bracket and I'm just not quite ready yet to give up the drawer space above where the serger would be. It appears that this set up would require the whole space. Or is there a way to do both? I am glad you posted that, though, because I have an old office desk that had a typewriter lift that was similar to that. For some reason it had never occured to me until today that I might be able to use one of those for that desk, to put my wireless printer on.

As far as the ergonomics went. I did end up spending a lot of time on that, too. It's also a reason I didn't end up sticking with the Rockler design. In the end, I wanted a person to be able roll a chair under the extension wing and the swing out doors didn't allow for that on one side. I also couldn't get the needle plate centered AND keep the drawers symmetrically sized at the width I wanted them without extending the width of the entire table. So, this table is considerable larger when "closed" than the Rockler one, but with this one, you don't have to utilize the larger footprint that results from unfolding the wings and swinging doors in way. If you want the extra work surface you can have it, but you don't have to like you do with the Rockler one.

Looking at these with fresh eyes, this morning, I realize that I haven't included any good shots of the details that most woodworkers would prefer to see and comment on. These are better pictures for showing to an end user. Maybe I'll post more pics that focus on the details Creekers would appreciate and could provide more significant insight on.