Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternative potential sources for Ammonia

While I'm no where near the expert Scott is, I've had good luck using non-detergent household amonia applied directly to the wood with a rag. Raises the grain a bit, but seems to work quicker than fuming with household amonia. Want it darker, wipe it on again. Helps a bit that our humidity here runs <20%, but I've used the technique in higher humidity areas without a problem.

Blog Entries
    This thread is a couple of weeks old, but here's a source:

http://store.hvchemical.com/browse.cfm/4,29.html

Five gallons of 28% ammonia will be about $100 including hazmat fee but excluding UPS shipping cost. As for anhydrous ammonia,
    don't go there. That stuff is too damned dangerous to play with. Even the 28% stuff is no joke; treat it with the same respect that
    you would give to a strong acid. Strong bases like this are every bit as dangerous (if not more).

If you search on ammonium hydroxide you can find smaller quantities; the hazmat fee is the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Clark View Post
    Scott,

Thank you for the input. I intend to fume this piece for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I'd like to try an old school technique. I realize that one most be careful using ammonia but no more so than the concentrated chemicals that I've used for year to do pool care. And, since I will likely be using a 10% mixture, it will be a little less potent. Also, the tent will likely be outside, and as rural as I am, I'm not terrible concerned about the effects on the neighbors who are... aways down the road.

As for the dyes being more colorfast... I'm not personally convinced on that. I'd be interested in reviewing whatever data/evidence you have that would prove that. What I do know about fuming is that my grandparents own several fumed pieces that are much older than I and haven't shown any substantial change in color during my life time. Of course, they are also the types that are careful to care for their stuff and oil it every so often, as needed.
    All chemical wood treatments are considered "permanent", direct treatments with liquid ammonia will not darken or color the lignin walls of the wood, where as the fumes will. When looking to create the original look of craftsman style furnishings, nothing will work better than 28% ammonia. Lighter boards can be left in longer when necessary and any slight color variations can be done with dye if necessary.