Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new shop and zoning issues

Actually, this has been a lesson to me in just how much things can vary from area to area. My personal experiences with variances have led me to the "not worth the time or money" statement, but obviously it can be quite different in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Actually, this has been a lesson to me in just how much things can vary from area to area.
    +1 on that! I know that in some towns and cities, particularly those with historical districts, getting things approved can be tough but to hear someone state that applying for a variance is rarely worth the time or money really surprised me.

Thomas, did Dave contact you?

Nope. Haven't heard anything.

It really does depend on the local governing body and on your lot location, in my case.

My neighbors to the West of me are big time RVers. They have had a travel trailer of some kind for over 24 years. The local city code here allows R-1 zoned areas to have a % of property covered by buildings other than the primary residence and it has a 10' setback from the property lines.

My neighbor decided to build a shop, and he wanted it closer to the property line (5') so he could build it tall enough to park his 5th wheel trailer in it during the winter months. He got signtures from each of the neighbors after agreeing to make it similar in construction and look as his house. A contractor built it for him and for a few years until he bought a much taller trailer, he parked his trailer out of the weather in the winter. He did have to build the exterior walls with firewall construction in the walls of his shop that were 5' from the property lines.

When I built my woodworking shop I had similar thoughts BUT.....1' outside my property is a major sewer distribution line for the neighborhood behind us. I couldn't get a variance on the setback.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

5. If you decide to go forward on your request for a variance you should be prepared for a few questions from the folks who grant them. They may ask about roof water run off and where it will go, will you have customers and if so where will they park? Since the building is so large ( the size of a small house ) how do they know you aren't going to rent it out as such? At that size you might even be asked to sprinkler it! And you realize you need to be on good terms with your neighbors before you start, because a few may not wish to see your shop when they're on their patio.

Here in my little town of Williston fl, they do a walk around inspection evey few years, ( amazed me) and do want to look inside any out buildings. So, beware and state what the usage is going to be. The inspections are unanounced and at random, they have been here 2x in 9 years. I am zones RU1-AG and in the county, and not in the city limits.

And you're good with that, Tim? Hand them a copy of the Constitution next time they stop by. Make sure the 4th Amendment is highlighted.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Tim,

I am with Jason, I can not see where the city has the right to inspect the inside of your property unannounced at random. All cities have different zoning rules and regulations as to what you can and can't build. They have to inspect to make sure the construction is correct. However, after the final inspection is complete, the city is finished.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Howell View Post
    Here in my little town of Williston fl, they do a walk around inspection evey few years, ( amazed me) and do want to look inside any out buildings. So, beware and state what the usage is going to be. The inspections are unannounced and at random, they have been here 2x in 9 years. I am zones RU1-AG and in the county, and not in the city limits.
    Tim are you sure it isn't a tax assessor? They do arrive unannounced, but my understanding is you don't have to let them in. I welcome them in because I built very unconventionally to keep my Property tax low.

Tim are you sure it isn't a tax assessor?
    That would be my thoughts too. We have them occasionally here but they give notice.

Sounds like you want to build a three car garage.
    Seems like they'd be happy for you to keep your cars put away.

I built a 990sqft Garage with a 10/12 pitch it has a second floor and 20ft dormer. It is around 1600sqft that was the easiest way around the 1000sqft limit. I was going to use a steeper pitch but it could only be 20 ft. Tall.