Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gustav Stickley /Harvey Ellis 913 Dresser

Gustav Stickley /Harvey Ellis 913 Dresser

I finally finished this dresser for my daughter Holly. She wanted a mission style dresser, and after looking at every design we could find she decided this was the one. It was originally to be her Christmas present, but work, travel and finally the weather all got in the way. Oh well, better late than never. It isn't a true reproduction, as it only appeared in the Stickley catalog with the paneled sides, but was manufactured with solid wood sides. We liked the look with paneled sides so we went that route. It is made from quarter saw white oak, with poplar for the drawers, and squared ebony pegs in the legs. The recipe for the finish came from Chris Schwartz at Popular Woodworking magazine, aniline dye, shellac, dark glaze rubbed on then off, followed by sprayed lacquer. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holly looks like a very proud daughter! Your dresser looks beautiful! The drawer fit looks great, what size gap did you use? The spacing of the dovetails looks perfect.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Simply Superb!!!

Doug,

Looks beautiful.....excellent craftsmanship (that goes for the dresser too! )

Seriously, the drawers lines look great - I like that style. THis is a treasure for your daughter.........and her daughter....

Cool stuff!!

Excellent job. I love the finish.
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Thanks Bruce, I cut the drawers the same size as the openings then just hand planed off enough so that they fit nice.

By the way, my next project is a cradle like the one you posted a while back. When our oldest daughter asked me to build a cradle for her baby due in August, we went looking for inspiration on the web. When we saw your Cherry and Birdseye Maple cradle we both fell in love with it.

Gustav would be proud! As will your daughter.
    Great job.

Looks awesome Doug. Great patterns in the wood. Love the finish!

Outstanding! That's dresser will be handed down for generations.

Wes

Nice job! Her smile says it all!

Now that's a post. I don't think a post is complete until we see the dovetails! Thanks. What a great project. From fit to finish, you have a winner here! You're daughter will always tell the story about how her father made her dresser for her. Who knows, she might also say, "And he made my bed, and my hope chest, and don't forget my side table, and..."

Great job! Way to go.

I love Stickley furniture, but cannot afford it... Did you build from plans, if so where did you get them?

thanks.

Beautiful job. Great workmanship. Nice to see a picture with the happy customer.

Richard

Excellent work, I'm sure your great, great, great grandchildren will fight over that piece. By the way, what did you cut the dovetails with? Please don't tell me a saw and chisel or I'm going to quit woodworking because I'm not worthy.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Beautiful design and crafstmanship! There is really some talent on this SMC Forum! I love it! The proportions are classic!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Outstanding, but you will probably have to make a matching set of night stands now.