Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gustav Stickley /Harvey Ellis 913 Dresser

Quote Originally Posted by David Figueroa
    I love Stickley furniture, but cannot afford it... Did you build from plans, if so where did you get them?

thanks.
    I got the plans from Bob Lang at Craftsmanplans.com. He also has several books with plans and techniques. Bob is a gentleman who gladly answers questions. He has now joined the staff of Popular Woodworking, where his craftsmanship is on display monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Cowan
    Thanks Bruce, I cut the drawers the same size as the openings then just hand planed off enough so that they fit nice.

By the way, my next project is a cradle like the one you posted a while back. When our oldest daughter asked me to build a cradle for her baby due in August, we went looking for inspiration on the web. When we saw your Cherry and Birdseye Maple cradle we both fell in love with it.
    Thanks Doug, the cradle was a fun little project, (except for the deadline aspect of it ) Holly's dresser on the other hand is a work of art!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Smith
    Excellent work, I'm sure your great, great, great grandchildren will fight over that piece. By the way, what did you cut the dovetails with? Please don't tell me a saw and chisel or I'm going to quit woodworking because I'm not worthy.
    Thanks for the kind words. My original intent was to hand cut the dovetails, but I am not quite at the point where I am ready to tackle mass production. In the interests of getting the project done my wife persuaded me to break down a buy a Leigh D4. (Yes, I know I am a lucky man. She once called me all exicited from Home Depot to tell me that she had found a gorgous piece of curly maple in with their regular maple and that she just had to buy it ). The D4 was probably a good investment, now my son wants a 7 drawer chest on chest, and my wife has decided that a bonnet top highboy would be just the thing for our bedroom!

Thumbs up

What an inspiration! I too love Stickley...Greene & Greene era. Your daughter has very good taste! Nice job on the staining...Thank-you for sharing it with us.
    Even an old blind sow gets an acorn once in a while!

Doug,
    That came out beautiful and your daughter will treasure it forever. I hope you have put your signature and dated it somewhere...she will be showing her children and grandchildren someday!!
    It doesn't get any better than making a piiece of furniture for your children, that they have requested!
    Roger

Excellent Craftsmanship, Beautiful job.
    Tony

I've studied Stickley - Your peice is to be proud of. I'm sure Mr. Stickely would agree...

Well Done.... Thanks for the look
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Doug,
    That is beautiful work - superb. I agree with the choice of the panelled sides, and the finish looks terrific.

A joy to see. -Steve

Outstanding work, Doug! As others have said, the panels on the sides really do the trick on it. I could easily see where the D4 was a benefit...Man, you had lots to do! Bet you have one happy daughter and that she's probably quite proud of her dad! Good job.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Doug,
    The dresser looks great. The dovetails and quarter sawn white oak really make it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Beautiful, your finish really beings out the beauty of the quarter sawn oak. Great job.

Brian

Nice job, Doug! Looks fantastic!

Good timing, too--I'm on the verge of making the same piece and was hoping to find some photos somewhere.

Keith

That's a wonderful piece, Doug. I really like the Harvey Ellis pieces in the Stickley collection. Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Truly a piece for the ages, nice work.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome