Thread: Fluorescent lights, high output vs normal output

Fluorescent lights, high output vs normal output

I "think" I have decided to use 8 foot fluorescent T8 strip lights with 4-4 foot lamps in my new shop. I can get these in either a high output or a normal output fixture. I haven't had much success in determining which might be the best way to go. The high-output fixtures are more expensive, but I don't mind spending the extra money if they would be the better choice.

1. Do both use the same T8 bulbs or does the high-output fixture require a high-output lamp?

2. Are there advantages/disadvantages that I should consider in making the decision?

I have considered using T5 fixtures, but I have pretty much eliminated them from consideration based on cost plus I'm not sure I would like the brightness at the 10' height of my ceiling.

HO is a different bulb along with a different ballast. You can get more light for less fixtures.

I have T5's and like them 54wattHO bulbs. They are about 15' off the ground, but if they were in a fixture that was designed for a lower ceiling then they would be my choice.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    GE makes a series of programmed start T-8 ballasts (this reply refers only to them) that start up a little slower, but create less "wear & tear" on the tubes with each start. They come in standard, high output, low output and extra low. The main operating difference is they consume more power as you go up the output scale. I used the High output ones in the kitchen inside a deep well with thick diffusers. I used the extra low output one in the bathroom with a low ceiling and more light than we really needed (used existing fixtures, but replaced the ballasts inside them). I use the same T-8 tubes in both and so far no problems.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    I "think" I have decided to use 8 foot fluorescent T8 strip lights with 4-4 foot lamps in my new shop. I can get these in either a high output or a normal output fixture. I haven't had much success in determining which might be the best way to go. The high-output fixtures are more expensive, but I don't mind spending the extra money if they would be the better choice.

1. Do both use the same T8 bulbs or does the high-output fixture require a high-output lamp?

2. Are there advantages/disadvantages that I should consider in making the decision?

I have considered using T5 fixtures, but I have pretty much eliminated them from consideration based on cost plus I'm not sure I would like the brightness at the 10' height of my ceiling.
    Specifically which T8 lamps are you considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lindsey View Post
    Specifically which T8 lamps are you considering?
    Jack, I am open to suggestions, the only lamps I have looked at so far are GE F32T8. What I find confusing is the difference in fixtures and lamps and what will work together. My first question about HO and NO fixtures is from looking at two fixtures at Home Depot one marked High Output and the other not. They are Lithonia fixtures, but I couldn't find the fixture model numbers on the Lithonia website to get more information. One electrical supply company in town has a Columbia fixture I was looking at also COL CS8-232-4EU they are also the place that quoted me a price on the GE lamps.

Bob, I'm not aware of any four foot T8 high output lamps. The F32T8 is a 32 watt lamp and was the original 4' T8 rapid start lamp that was introduced as I recall during the 1980's. Not positive about the time frame but think that's pretty close. Since then 25 watt, 28 watt, and 30 watt four foot lamps have been introduced as energy saving products but the 32 watt is the standard. There are advantages to them: they employ high efficiency rare earth phosphors that produce more light than the older conventional phosphors, and the smaller diameter improves the optical efficiency of the fixture. In most cases an F32T8 ballast will drive any of the 4 wattages but I've seen a few that weren't rated for all of them so its a good idea to look at the ballast cover for a list of approved lamps.

The 32 watt lamp is not a "High Output" lamp. It is the standard. There is an 8' HO T8 and there are 4' and 8' HO T12 lamps but I have never seen a 4' T8 HO. Could you be thinking if the T5? Incidentally I agree with your opinion that the T5HO is both too bright and too expensive for your application.

The 4' T8 has become the standard for lighting small shops and the F32T8 you cited is an excellent choice. As far as fixture type goes, that depends on the physical characteristics of your shop. What are the length, width, and height. Will the ceiling and walls be finished? If so, what color? Those factors will dictate the fixture and lamp type. Color is up to you. Are you under 25 or over 65? Are you doing typical hobbyist woodworking or do you have a lot of more difficulot to see work? That determines the lighting level.

In 2002 I wrote an article on shop lighting for Fine Woodworking Magazine that was published in February of that year. If you have or can get a copy that should help. The article was based on T12 lamps but you can substitute T8's .

I'm about finished with new shop lighting guidelines that will be published on Sawmill Creek. I expect it to be online in 2 to 3 weeks and it is a how to guide on designing your own lighting system. That will answer a lot of your questions. If you need help faster just give me the info and I'll try to help.

Could you be thinking if the T5? Incidentally I agree with your opinion that the T5HO is both too bright and too expensive for your application.
    What is this too bright you speak of?

Bob, I'm not aware of any four foot T8 high output lamps. The F32T8 is a 32 watt lamp and was the original 4' T8 rapid start lamp that was introduced as I recall during the 1980's. Not positive about the time frame but think that's pretty close. Since then 25 watt, 28 watt, and 30 watt four foot lamps have been introduced as energy saving products but the 32 watt is the standard. There are advantages to them: they employ high efficiency rare earth phosphors that produce more light than the older conventional phosphors, and the smaller diameter improves the optical efficiency of the fixture. In most cases an F32T8 ballast will drive any of the 4 wattages but I've seen a few that weren't rated for all of them so its a good idea to look at the ballast cover for a list of approved lamps.

The 32 watt lamp is not a "High Output" lamp. It is the standard. There is an 8' HO T8 and there are 4' and 8' HO T12 lamps but I have never seen a 4' T8 HO. Could you be thinking if the T5? Incidentally I agree with your opinion that the T5HO is both too bright and too expensive for your application.

The 4' T8 has become the standard for lighting small shops and the F32T8 you cited is an excellent choice. As far as fixture type goes, that depends on the physical characteristics of your shop. What are the length, width, and height. Will the ceiling and walls be finished? If so, what color? Those factors will dictate the fixture and lamp type. Color is up to you. Are you under 25 or over 65? Are you doing typical hobbyist woodworking or do you have a lot of more difficulot to see work? That determines the lighting level.

In 2002 I wrote an article on shop lighting for Fine Woodworking Magazine that was published in February of that year. If you have or can get a copy that should help. The article was based on T12 lamps but you can substitute T8's .

I'm about finished with new shop lighting guidelines that will be published on Sawmill Creek. I expect it to be online in 2 to 3 weeks and it is a how to guide on designing your own lighting system. That will answer a lot of your questions. If you need help faster just give me the info and I'll try to help.
    There is more good info in this short post on lighting than I have seen in a long time.

Since the OP mentioned the Lithonia fixtures at HD, I can add some info. If you buy any of the Lithonia fixtures at HD with the MVolt 120-277 ballast, you are getting a good fixture at a very good price. They do have a very limited selection compared to buying from a full line supplier.

One that is really nice for a tall shop is the 4' 6 bulb I-Beam that has two ballasts which are worth as much as the $80 they are charging for the entire fixture. You can wire them on two switches or add pull switch so that you can run 3 bulb for normal use and all 6 when you want more light. They might be a bit much at 10' height as they are simliar to a 4 bulb T-5 HO unit. I have some in my garage at 10' but they are where I don't ever have them directly in my line of sight over workbenches.

I have used them to replace 8' T-12 HO and VHO fixtures with great success at 10' height over workbenches, 12' in a commercial woodshop, 16' in my warehouse. I recently used them at 21' in a big repair shop to replace MH fixtures.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-27-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    What is this too bright you speak of?
    Brightness, in the context of this discussion, refers to the visual sensation produced by a light source located within the field of view. As the intensity of the source increases it may cause glare that interferes with the seeing process. That's what we mean by "too bright".

I installed the Lithonia 4-Light Flush-Mounted Multi-Volt Ballast Ceiling Light, Model LB 4 32 MVOLT and used Philips 32-Watt 4 ft. T8 Natural Light (5000k) Fluorescent Light Bulbs. I very pleased with the results. I installed 8 switches so I can light the areas of the 1600 sq ft shop I'm working in. I purchased everything from HD.
    Last edited by Peter Perrello; 03-28-2012 at 4:34 PM.

I also used the Lithonia Lighting 6 bulb I-Beam fixtures and am very pleased with the light output. I used a lumen calculator and setup the shop to be bright enough with half of the banks turned off. As I get older the extra bank will come in handy down the road.

The only 2 issues I see with using the I-Beam fixtures is they will not work if you are using a drop ceiling; and they look a little bent when flush mounted to the drywall. It is only an appearance thing, but it just looks odd looking up and seeing the two ends out of alignment.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.