Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next up Drywall

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    did you guys use closed cell or open?
    I used open cell because it was less expensive, the contractor recommended it, and I have 2x6 walls that held a lot of foam.

Bob

Slightly off topic but...what if you have to fish an electrical wire with foam installed? I was watching a show once where the guy heated up a ball bearing and dropped it into the channel of a wall created a space for the wire that way but that technique may not work for that angled ceiling. Maybe if you used a magnet it would work.
    Last edited by Jamie Schmitz; 03-29-2012 at 8:32 PM.

That looks awesome!!!

I agree with the others that you can hire this out for not a whole lot more than you can do it yourself - especially when you consider time.

Will you be leaving the "loft" area open for storage?

PHil

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Schmitz View Post
    Slightly off topic but...what if you have to fish an electrical wire with foam installed?
    You're right- it can be a problem to add wires later. That's why I did 3 things:
    - make sure I added all the wiring I could think of prior to the spray foam
    - add empty plastic conduit between floors and going into the electrical box from the crawl space that allow wires to be fished later
    - added a ceiling soffit around the perimeter of the shop to easily run wires and lights

Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Schmitz View Post
    Slightly off topic but...what if you have to fish an electrical wire with foam installed? I was watching a show once where the guy heated up a ball bearing and dropped it into the channel of a wall created a space for the wire that way but that technique may not work for that angled ceiling. Maybe if you used a magnet it would work.
    For a shop setting I would consider surface mounted conduit for the wall electrical, this eliminates the problem when moving or running new circuits.

The loft area will be slightly open. I will have an opening on each side to get in. It will be light storage. At 14 feet in the air, not ideal to store stuff. It will mostly be a way to run new wiring and stuff.

Open cell.

Closed cell would have have provided more R value and sealed all air leaks but the cost is much higher. The open cell was bad enough, cost wise.
    Last edited by Adam Carl; 04-05-2012 at 5:04 PM.

I too added a couple circuits before foam for lights and the heater. All other shop wiring will be in conduit.