• Non SS Owner: I've been injured

69 14.11%
  • Non SS Owner: no injuries

336 68.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SawStop vs Non SS Table saws poll....Accidents and accidental firings

SawStop vs Non SS Table saws poll....Accidents and accidental firings

So my curiosity has gotten the better of me. What I want to know is how the SMC community is fairing with western table saw technology. No motive...just curiosity, so I decided to simply poll it because I don't think anyone ever has. I'm considering kickback injuries as well, not just lacerations on the blade

So what say you?

The poll is multiple choice. Choose any and all that apply to you, or that applied to you in the past (for example, I chose "Non SS owner: no injuries" and "SS Owner: brake never fired and no injuries").

Oh...and the poll is anonymous.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-26-2012 at 1:07 AM.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I just voted "non SS, injured". It was years ago with a C-man contractor's saw and I was being very stupid.

Voted non-SS..injured. It was a three week bruise from a kickback....just before I bought my Beis splitter.

Rick Potter

I have a Shark Guard on my cabinet saw. I've never had a kickback since installing it.

My gosh! I did not realize the rate of non-SS injuries would be so high! 4/23 ?!

No injuries to date and have been doing wood working professionally since 1982. I'm also a non SS owner but if I ever upgrade it will be a SS.

Not to be a pain, but the questions asked won't provide much if any meaningful data that can be correlated, and can create false conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    Not to be a pain, but the questions asked won't provide much if any meaningful data that can be correlated, and can create false conclusions.
    Thanks for the heads up. You're free to start your own poll with whatever questions you wish. I choose to ask these.

I think this is worth discussion. There's only one stat that seems to jump out at me: Of the non-SS owners, about 1 in 7 people have had an accident. Is that particular fact refutable? (I'm not trying to infer how an SS changes the game in any way).

My table saw accidents have been with it NOT running.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Natalie View Post
    My table saw accidents have been with it NOT running.
    Cut while changing the blade? Bruise from bumping your hip? Straining your back from moving it?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I think this is worth discussion. There's only one stat that seems to jump out at me: Of the non-SS owners, about 1 in 7 people have had an accident. Is that particular fact refutable? (I'm not trying to infer how an SS changes the game in any way).

What I find interesting (albeit it's not perfect because there's some overlap in two of my options, and the sample is tiny) is that the save rate on the SS appears to be far lower than the injury rate on non-SS saws. It's off a bit because there can be overlap between SS Owner - Accidental Firing and SS Owner-Save, but that will only be significant if the number of saves starts to climb. Also, the SS hasn't been around for 50 years either, so that will throw things off as well. I think you would ideally like an injury/save rate per 100 hours, or something like that, but in lieu of that I just kept it simple and with the understanding that it's just a poll, not a statistical analysis

Just because I don't have a SawStop, doesn't mean I don't use safety equipment, of course. Splitter, Brett Guard, push stick, feather block, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I think this is worth discussion. There's only one stat that seems to jump out at me: Of the non-SS owners, about 1 in 7 people have had an accident. Is that particular fact refutable?
    Same fact jumps out at me...
    "It's Not About You."

I think you actually have to use it before you can get hurt. That's one very clean shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Just because I don't have a SawStop, doesn't mean I don't use safety equipment, of course. Splitter, Brett Guard, push stick, feather block, etc.