Thread: Calling all Grizzly G0514 and G0513 owners: mobile base question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Calling all Grizzly G0514 and G0513 owners: mobile base question

I am trying to make a mobile base for my G0514x2. I'm going to bolt on Great Lakes self-leveling casters to the base as in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?88934-Casters-on-a-G0514X2

The question is, the base on this saw is open, so people have bolted tube steel to the base and then mounted the casters to that. My question is whether I can just use hardwood. The guys who made frames out of tube steel have the tubes extending wider than the saw base, which increases stability, but would also put more stress on a wood member. Instead, I would just add the hardwood under the base with the bolt holes for the caster lined up with the exsiting base holes; the wood would really just be used as blocking.

Any cons to this?

My experience with my 514X2 is that the base is neither straight nor particularly sturdy. It's a real weak spot in the design. I was able to stabilize everything and level by mounting it on this. When I did it, I drilled holes through the mobile base, right through the metal, actually, and firmly bolted it down. That really seemed to stiffen it up.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...dware-kit.aspx

I know it's not what you asked, but I thought I'd let you know what worked for me.

I used this design (which is what I ?think? you mean):
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...se-for-Bandsaw

Two reasons I liked the outrigger idea like he did:
    • more stability (as you noted)
    • doesn't raise the table very much with the way its the above laid out. This was as important to me, hoisting big blocks up to the table is already hard work

I ended up putting some blocks of wood under the base inside the frame because it felt sketchy to me as well so the saw actually rests on the 2x4's cut to fit inside the frame and the 2x4s rest on the bars. I then through drilled both the 2x4 and the bar so its bolted all the way through.

I think wood would be ok if you make sure to use sufficiently large washers so as to avoid pull through and big enough frame members.. I wouldn't cheap on the size I guess and make sure to use good clear wood.

Not sure why you wouldn't just buy some tube steel though? I think its probably at least as cheap if not cheaper than the hardwood.

I have lots of scrap wood, and it's easier for me to drill and cut. That's the only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I used this design (which is what I ?think? you mean):
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...se-for-Bandsaw
    I also followed this design for my 513x2 and used the same casters. While it cost me more than I was expecting as I don't have a convenient source for the steel, I've been very pleased with the result. Seems to be quite sturdy and stable. I don't move the bandsaw very much or very often though. Mostly I pull it away from the wall to use and then put it back out of the way.

Mine looks very similar to the photo in the spread but I can send you a pic if you think it would be helpful. I'm in Vancouver until Wednesday so I couldn't respond until Wed evening. let me know.

Mitchell

I put a Minimax mobility kit on mine. I bolted the bar with the wheels to the back, added feet to the front, and added a piece of angle to act as the hitch.

Do the grizzly bases interfere with the lower door?

For years I had Grizzly and ShopFox bases, then all of the tread on the wheels began to fail. I tried replacing the wheels on a few, but the hole patterns in the bases were different and made it difficult to bolt on. I ultimately replaced all of the bases with ones I made, and have been much happier. On the G0513X, I just made a base out of two layers of plywood, bigger in width of the base by ~7 inches and two 2x4's screwed to the top of the plywood. The boards then overhang the plywood on the back and front, where good 4" wheel castors are bolted. The thing moves easily around my shop and the base only raised the saw up about 2 inches. Very sturdy base and stable. And the whole thing was done in an hour.