Thread: Solid wood counter/desktop-breadboard needed?

Solid wood counter/desktop-breadboard needed?

Hi,

I am in the final design phases of a set of built-ins for a home office. The drawing is below. The "counter-top" is 132" long, so in order to avoid having a seam somewhere if I use plywood, I am considering just using 6/4 solid maple. I am concerned about cupping, though.

Do I need to use bread board ends on the counter-top and desktop? Is there a different/better way to avoid cupping?

Thanks!
    Chris

I have made hundreds of solid wood table tops and if you get a nice flat glue-up and finish top and bottom equally you won't have any problems. I hate breadboard ends so I don't use them. a couple of my bigger tops were 72" round, and 50"x144". Those two were from 8/4 maple and ash respectively.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Hi Chris,
    An 11' 6/4 by maybe 20" solid maple countertop? I hope you have deep pockets and a very long jointer. As long as the stock is flat and stable, I'd pass on the breadboard edge.
    Ed

I've built solid wood countertops, used 1" material and doubled up around the edge. Have one on the entertainment center in the living room.

IT looks like you have an apron around the perimeter under the top. No breadboard needed if you do.

Breadboards really come in handy and are good idea for situations like a dining table where you cantilever out past the structure 18" or more. OR if you really have a desire to see no end grain.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. It makes me feel a bit more comfortable. The cabinet bases are actually just euro style cabinets, no apron. The bases will give support around the perimeter, though.

Now I just have to figure out how to machine these boards!

Thanks!
    Chris