Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you be buying the *NEW* Domino

I don't have any uses for the XL that I wouldn't rather use other techniques for. The regular Domino is a different story.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The XL is a complement to the existing Domino, certainly not a replacement. I would definitely consider replacing my Domino with the larger one if it actually did all widths (or even if it went down to 6mm as the smallest), but obviously, Festool wants you to have to buy both. I'm just a hobbyist and even with a potential interior door project coming up, I can't justify the XL.

But from an engineering standpoint, both machines are very cool. And the XL improves on some of the ergonomics of the original, which were already pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    And the XL improves on some of the ergonomics of the original, which were already pretty good.

I got the original the day it was available for sale in the US. Don't really have a need for the XL, as I do mostly smaller stuff. I agree with Victor though, the handle configuration looks much more comfortable and ergonomic.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have the 500 and I also make a lot of doors. To be honest, the XL is a neat widget, but cost wise, it's a little too close to a 1 hp stand mortiser (my real work horse for doors) to be practical for me. I do think the tool makes a lot of sense for carpenters that do outside work such as pergolas, and I could see it making a lot of sense for exterior door shop that make bigger exterior doors where it's easier to move the tool around the workpiece instead of vice-versa.

I think it's a fantastic tool, and if I had a use for one I'd buy it.

That said I have a hollow chisel mortiser and a shaper for mortice and tenon work so I don't think I'll buy one.

Regards, Rod.

I'd love to own one, but $1200.00 for a tool that gets used "on occasion" is just too much for me to justify in todays economy.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I guess I'll be the first to say that I'll be buying one definitely. While it is not as capable as a stationary mortiser,i never know where I'll be working at, and the portability makes it more useful for me. I'll also be keeping my original, which I just repurchased after selling off my first one and regretting it.

IF (<- big if <g>) I ever buy a new Domino this would be the one that I'd buy. Much more likely that I'd fall into used older model... I'll be getting a vacuum, a sander or two, and a Kapex (my wife wants one!) before I even begin thinking of a Domino.

Blog Entries
    Jerome does your wife do woodworking also?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Jerome does your wife do woodworking also?
    She turns (pens so far but is getting worked up to do bowls). She loves the notion of segmented turning and has collected lots of Malcom Tibbets reading materiel. He uses a Kapex to prepare his segmented bits and pieces so she is thinking that is the tool of choice. Therefore I now love Malcom Tibbets <eg>.

luccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccky

I will indeed be getting one. I have the 500 and will keep it. For me both have a place in my shop. The 700 will be the quick and easy way for doing interior and exterior doors. I have a stationary mortiser, but I like being able to take the tool to the work on larger pieces, less handling = better. The one thing I will miss is the dealer employee discount, that I got on the 500.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    luccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccky
    No doubt of that. It must be really cool that she can share the hobby with you.

I'll be getting one. The largest tool I have room to store is about the size of the Festool Systainers and no one tool can weigh more than about 40lbs because I have to carry it from where it's store to where I'm going to use it. For me, this makes the Domino XL the best solution for how to do things like doors, gates, beds, benches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    No doubt of that. It must be really cool that she can share the hobby with you.

Other than the "why have you stacked this stuff on my lathe stand?" inquiries <g> Of course that's better than the two years of "when are you going to finish my lathe stand?". I don't think so, but that last one could have been a little bit my fault <g>