Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you be buying the *NEW* Domino

Will you be buying the *NEW* Domino

So I just get my daily Woodcraft email and it has as the very first item featured a huge banner ad for the *NEW* and *IMPROVED* larger, better, stronger, faster, smarter Festool Domino Joiner. Now if you thought the first iteration of this tool was a lot of money then you are going to really be surprised when you see the $1200 price tag on this baby. I don't argue that this tool is as amazing as it sounds to be but for the at home woodworker who is serious but not really making money with woodworking this thing is just way out of the normal guy's budget. For a production shop this thing is a bargain it would seem to me. A big production shop would probably want a couple of them in case one goes down for repairs or they have several guy's doing the same thing at once. I am sure they pay for themselves in short order. I would love to have one but it just isn't ever happening unless I get lucky and win the $350M MegaMoney drawing tonight and then I probably won't be too interested in woodworking for a while.........

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...paign=12IN03NL

Well I certainly wouldn't mind owning one of those

I do not think I would buy one at a quarter of the price. I still would rather chop or drill motices and use a router or tablr saw to make tenons. That and when ever I save up enough butter and egg money it'll be toward a better band saw or drill press.

I'll never buy one for that price but also don't think it is too much of a stretch for a home shop. Yes, expensive for a hand power tool but the $$$$ is not out of reach. We spend that much or more for a planer, jointer, bandsaw, table-saw etc.... For the type of work I do, there are much cheaper options.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Where's Frank?

you won't believe this but despite my recent suggestions of using a domino xl for door construction, i haven't really used my domino that often. i tried using it for cabinet carcase assembly the other night and it was just such a royal pain that i was only too relieved last night when i went back to stapling and screwing the parts together. i'll definitely be opting out and wouldn't rule out selling off my domino some day in the future if i don't find more uses for it soon!

I own the last version and am very happy that I do. It is a great tool - immensely useful. Can't imagine trading up, but will sign up for one when it is offered in the monthly Festool give-a-way on the FOG . Meanwhile, I'm happy with the old model.

Just reading Frank's 2¢. I agree Frank the Domino is not a tool for cabinet box construction (or face frames for that matter - read my earlier post on other threads ) but when it comes to constructing cabinet doors or attaching shelf edges, or gluing up panels, c-tops etc., among other projects, the Domino is king. A time saver, an accuracy improver and certainly a structure enhancer.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 03-27-2012 at 4:21 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Short answer, no.
    Longer answer, never.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It's not for me. For big M&T work I would just cut them with other methods... I imagine if I was making a lot of bigger projects and wanted fast and easy loose M&T that's bigger than a regular domino then I would invest in the big domino. But only if I was selling that stuff commercially.

I say it's for the "well off" hobbyist, or commercial work.

$1200 could be used towards a lot of things...

If it were $300 cost, I would probably buy one though.

The Domino XL was demonstrated to me in a class recently. It's designed for much larger mortise and loose tenon joinery, such as doors. Unless you're doing a lot of this kind of work, I think you'd be better off to drill out your mortises.

For the demo, the Festool guy used a couple of 2x4's and the mortise was big enough that you wouldn't want to use anything much smaller. For furniture work, the regular Domino is the proper tool.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

i've also noticed that i'm a very impatient wood joiner so i really much rather prefer pocket screwing almost anything as long as the joint won't be visible... i hate gluing in plugs, cutting and sanding them as well lol

Nope..I have the 500 & I'm happy with that.....I don't see it as being that much better other than a little bigger & longer tenon.

I'm looking forward to longer tenons in the 8 & 10 sizes. I have often wanted to use the full 40 travel in the 500 on both sides of the joint, but I don't have any dominos that length.

XL? Probably not for me. I have used a 4 more than I would use a 14, but the 14 would have been fun to use sometimes.

-Brian

I would have, but when I made the choice a few years back I went slot mortiser rather than the smaller domino because I needed a greater capacity. If it really works as well as the smaller version (I use one at work frequently) it would be great for large frame and panel work. I do a lot of what might be properly call millwork or architectural millwork, and I can imagine lots of uses for which those big dominos would be perfect. But I'm certainly not going to dump my slot mortiser at this point. Maybe I'll win the mega millions drawing and buy two, one for left hand mortises and one for right?

I keep looking for the $19.99 Harbor Freight model.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale