Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will you be buying the *NEW* Domino

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    you won't believe this but despite my recent suggestions of using a domino xl for door construction, i haven't really used my domino that often. i tried using it for cabinet carcase assembly the other night and it was just such a royal pain that i was only too relieved last night when i went back to stapling and screwing the parts together. i'll definitely be opting out and wouldn't rule out selling off my domino some day in the future if i don't find more uses for it soon!
    Hi Frank and other,

Not sure is you are aware of the Domiplate accessory for the Domino but it is great. It makes building cabinets very easy. It is rather inexpensive also. I use this just about every time I pull out the Domino. It will give you a perfect alignment for the corners.

http://www.senecawoodworking.com/

kevin, thanks for that reference. i just discovered it about a month ago and built one out of scrap poplar. i think i will go back to using a domino on each side of the panel just for alignment before i screw the parts together. i had a few blowouts this time using my pneumatic stapler.

As others have said, the original domino and the new domino xl are compliments, not either or. They do not do the same size domino's so you cannot use one for all of your tasks. I have seen the new domino xl up close and check it out and saw a demo of it. It is a very nice tool and even though it is quite a bit larger than the original domino, the xl is well balanced, the handle placement is great and the features are excellent. There are few few little things that they upgraded on the design of the xl vs. the original. Just my guess, I think you'll see a revised original domino with some of the improvements of the xl.

One thing that you notice right away with the xl is the size of the cutters. They are large, especially when you see them next to the original cutters.

the extra stops are nice