Thread: Sharpening Rasps and Rifflers

Sharpening Rasps and Rifflers

I have seen here, and elsewhere, that Boggs can sharpen files on a cost effective basis. Does anyone know if they can sharpen rasps or rifflers? I have an older set of rifflers that I bought as a throw in when I bought a rather large set of carvng tools. They are of very good quality, and if they can be sharpened that would be wonderful. I know that I can call them on Monday, but today is Saturday, and I thought that perhaps someonne might have querried them on this point. TIA.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan,

Spray some oven cleaner on them, the nasty stuff (easy off or something, but no wimpy citrus cleaners) and let it sit for about 4 to 6 minutes. Then whipe it off. The harsh cleaning compound in the oven cleaner actually etch the steel and make them work again. Test, if not happy repeat. I had to do this with crappy old rasps and it actually worked well but took 4 cycles to get them preyy acceptable. They will not work like new, but will work 20 times better than they do. Hope this helps.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Steve,
    If that works, then it seems that the acid process would be effective. What do you think?

Yep, I would guess the acid process would work as welll. But I do know that oven cleaner works because I've done it.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Their web page list rasps as sharpenable. You might check out Weygers book on
    The Fine Art of Blacksmithing. It has a page on sharpening files and such with old battery acid, (free). Haven't tried it myself but have heard over the years from old timers who use the method. Google is a good source of quick answers and start reading the metal forums for great additional sources of information.