Thread: "Alabaster Road To Nowhere'

"Alabaster Road To Nowhere'

Along with whacky box part pieces I have been exploring more not so conventional turnings. This piece is Curley Maple 9"x6" air brush dyed. A 1/4" slot was carved out winding around the HF ending at another slot. Alabaster was crushed and individual stones were CA glued in place, sanded down and black epoxy used to fill in the voids. The enture piece was then sanded smooth. Spray lacquered and yet to be buffed. Comments and critique welcome. Hopefully this piece get a more favorable review that the last one .DSCN0537 (800 x 998).jpg
    I turn, therefore I am

I like it. It has a native American look.

Nice combination of turning, carving, and airbrushing. It all comes together into one gorgeous piece. The road to nowhere has to be fun to follow. I would just keep going around and admiring the trip.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Wow Dick, what a spectacular piece! I really like it, it's very different. I have to say, I like this creative roll that you are on, you are putting out some really great pieces! I think the color on this one is killer with the alabaster and black lines. It's really a fantastic shape too!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Dick, the color combination works well in this one. I would probably have preferred just a little more curvature on the lower portion of the vase and just a little smaller base - but, this is a solid looking piece and the larger base does seem to work well with it.

Did you attempt to turn the alabaster after it was in place? I have a friend that turns alabaster pieces, some combined with wood in segmentation. He makes some interesting combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Dick, the color combination works well in this one. I would probably have preferred just a little more curvature on the lower portion of the vase and just a little smaller base - but, this is a solid looking piece and the larger base does seem to work well with it.

Did you attempt to turn the alabaster after it was in place? I have a friend that turns alabaster pieces, some combined with wood in segmentation. He makes some interesting combinations.
    I thought about it John. I was afraid that the CA glue would not withstand the turning and I would end up with little missiles going every where ( at me in particular) When I first glued in the Alabaster it was sticking way up, which would have been hard to fill the voids so I decided to rought sand them down first.

Yes, I have turned alabaster and it really turns very nicely. Turn very slow and the dust falls off onto the tool and lathe bed.
    I turn, therefore I am

Nice piece! Classic alabaster jar shape. It has exagerated, alabaster veining feel. I think that the shape is spot on.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Wonderful piece, shape and rocks. do you really want to buff that piece---i like it.----------old forester

Very nice piece Dick! Form looks great, as does the dye and inlay. Nice job!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Dick,
    I love the form and the blending of materials here. The airbrushing produced a wonderful color. I would like to see the same color with a bit more of the underlying Curley Maple grain showing through.
    Very creative

quite a vessel, dick. You are sure exploring in your turnings. thanks for sharing your journey with us. the color is muted, and interesting. It (in my monitor) looks like pottery, more than wood. The somewhat irregular carvings make me want to follow them, as I cannot know exactly where the "road" will go as I go around the vessel. A super nice turning.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe