Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalloped Redwood

Scalloped Redwood

Redwood burl, with a maple accent ring, this one is 5.25"w x about 4.75 t. The walls are just over 1/8", with the very rim being about 3/16". Finish is several coats of shellac, buffed back, and 7-8 coats of General WTF, sanded level and triple buffed. I really like the WTF finish! So consistent, so quick, so easy to use, and such a nice feel to it.

There were several bark inclusions and small voids in this one. The larger ones were filled with coffee grounds and Titebond, and most of the smaller ones remain open. For that reason, the finish on this one was not buffed to a really high gloss - it just seemed to look better with a softer finish.

I wanted to get this one finished up, as it will be part of several turnings I will deliver to the KY Artisan Center in Berea on Friday.

As is always the case, I welcome your comments, and hope some of you find it pleasing. Sorry, Jamie, for the headlight reflections! I am not sure of the source as I was using ambient light along with the shop lights.

SCALLOPED REDWOOD 1.jpg SCALLOPED REDWOOD 2.jpg SCALLOPED REDWOOD 3.jpg SCALLOPED REDWOOD 4.jpg SCALLOPED REDWOOD 5.jpg

very nice John, the burl is well done, redwood can be pretty soft wood and yours looks well done, great form, and the accent ring does not overpower the burl, are you putting the piece in the gallery at KY Artisan Center or is there a contest there??????

thanks for sharing

John,

I really like the form and the accent ring. It have a very ancient Egyptian feel to the piece. It for sure is a unique piece and very much a winner.

Alan

I agree with Alan about the Egyptian look. Pretty cool piece and that WTF looks like days worth of WOP! My only small critique would be a preference for the feature ring to be a bit narrower. Nice work John.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Well, I'm glad you decided not to go with the gloss finish

This is impeccable in many ways. In form and finish of course. The woods work well together and the redwood burl... well, how could redwood burl not look great?!

The decoration is the only thing that would keep me from giving this a ten. It works well enough but it just does not have the "panache" I usually associate with your pieces. I am hesitant to even mention this because I have done absolutely no burning or decorating of this type outside of branding my logo into the bottoms of my pieces which has served to give me a hint as to how "not easy" this stuff can be. We look at work by Molly Winton or Cynthia Gibson and admire it without really understanding what it takes to pull it off. In this case, it does add to the piece and the design is simple but effective. But I think, if you continue to explore burned decoration, it will not be long before you look back at this and wonder how you ever got to where you are from where you began.
    David DeCristoforo

One of your best yet. Ya got to love that wood.

Steve

John of all your great pieces i've seen since i joined here, i think this is one of the best. (IMHO)Love it.

Really nicely done John. I like the form and the finish is excellent. I agree that the accent ring could be narrower.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like everything about it. Form, finish, etc. Great pc.

Beautiful! While the accent ring might look better if it was narrower, I still think this piece looks great. I love the form and the finish!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Beautiful work John! As I mentioned before - this piece has an Arabic feel to it - to me! I love the wood, form and finish and find that the simple design in the detail ring works well. Best of luck with all your sales through the artisan center! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like this piece, and do like this direction. I'm sure it will continue to evolve and mature as other of your work, in short order at that!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

That'll work. For a nit...may be the pic lighting or a "who cares" thing...big flat spot in the transition? This is a great pottery piece and they had flat spots and so can we! I'd put in my collection!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Ya' done good John....especially the form. I've seen several of your pieces with the accent ring and I really like them, but for me this one could be a bit narrower.
    Bottom line is that this one is going to sell immediately!!!!

Well, Just beautiful once again, John.