Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalloped Redwood

I love the piece. To me it looks spot on and love the scalloped work. I have to get into some of that type work too. Nice finish on the piece too. Thanks for showing.
    John T.

Very nice work John! The wood, form, and finish are up to your usual standards. I like the maple feature ring and find the pyro particularly interesting since I am beginning to try a little. I haven't gotten beyond dots and a few straight lines with a skew though. Were the scallops/curves made with a preformed tip or did you bend a wire tip yourself?
    I like your simple design. Getting an even burn and spacing that looks good is anything but easy!

Great shape and finish. sure glad you weren't trying for gloss--you hit glass!

Very nice John! Beautiful wood, form and finish and I like the accent ring. I'm sure this one will be a hit!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks! It is always interesting to see comments on various features of a piece. When I started this piece, I did not have a sketch - quite rare for me. But, when it came time to make a decision on the accent ring, I decided a sketch was a necessity - both as to placement and size of the ring. I have made them narrow, as well as in multiple layers, and decided on this one that I wanted the wider look. Seems as one deviates from the "expected norm", the masses begin to divide in their opinions as to that feature. I kind of like the wider ring better, and it provided the desired contrast, as well as a larger palette for the pyro. Ms. Keeton really likes this one, and that usually is a good sign as to marketability.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    ...are you putting the piece in the gallery at KY Artisan Center or is there a contest there??????
    Charlie, the Center had a bowl exhibit for a few months, and I sold five pieces during that exhibit. For a guy that doesn't do bowls, I was pleased! This piece will be part of a variety of work I will place there as a stocking vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    That'll work. For a nit...may be the pic lighting or a "who cares" thing...big flat spot in the transition?
    Jim, there are probably multiple issues that exist with this piece, but no flats. I am pretty obsessive on getting clean curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Were the scallops/curves made with a preformed tip or did you bend a wire tip yourself?
    I like your simple design. Getting an even burn and spacing that looks good is anything but easy!
    Baxter, the lines are burned with a guitar string after scoring the wood with my D-Way diamond tool, and the scallops were done with a fishscale tip. I bought my burner used from a fellow that had done carved fish. It came with every known size of fishscale tip!

I used the indexing on the lathe to make several division lines, and picked a tip that would give me continuous connectivity all around the piece. My intent is to get some wire and play with making my own tips, but there seem to be a lot of combinations one can put together by combining basic tips. In fact, your recent piece was what got me thinking about that.

As David D. said, this is very simplistic looking and leaves a lot of room for improvement. But it did give me the clean look I was after, with a lot of open area for contrast. I was a little afraid to get too "busy" with the pyro given the burly figure of the wood. For me, that would have created two competing elements.

Oh wow John, looks like yuo took a pretty chunk of wood and made a beautiful piece of art. Very well done. Love the look you got with the finish.
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

Congratulations on your first segmented piece, John. Even though it has only 3 segments, it is a good start!
    Seriously, your imagination continues to amaze me. Really a great piece.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

John,
    Beautiful work. All aspects are top notch. You seem to never fall into a pattern when you turn, and your work always shows great creativity. I too, love the General WTF finish you have used on some pieces lately. Very nice work.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Like he form, like the finish, may have to go back and revisit that can of WTF, that I did not like.

Beautiful shape and contrast in woods. The scallop and dot strike me as a bit too prominent, especially the scallop. No decoration or perhaps just lines might appeal more to me.

I like it just fine John, well, except for the squinty insect eyes highlights, but they're much improved over headlights! You have really illustrated the capabilities of the WTF, so I may have to use it more if I can just find some time to do some turning.

I really can't add to what's already been said except to say that legal education has sure paid off!

Your work remains astounding John, I've no critisms a'tall.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 03-28-2012 at 4:18 PM. Reason: removed comment
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

13. John, every piece you do is a work or art, I can't think of a single piece you have done that I haven't been shocked at the quality, proportions, and finish.

John,

This is another in your series of exquisite pieces. Workmanship, finish and embellishment are all superbly done.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I appreciate all the additional comments! Larry P., you do need to revisit the WTF finish - I really enjoy working with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Congratulations on your first segmented piece, John. Even though it has only 3 segments, it is a good start!
    Seriously, your imagination continues to amaze me. Really a great piece.
    Thanks, Tom, but if this qualifies as segmented, then I have several in my portfolio! Unfortunately, I doubt Wyko, and the other segmenters would permit this to be my entry fee into the world of segmentation!