Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scalloped Redwood

Nicely done, John! I thought I had already commented on this one, but perhaps my memory is not… Well, I can't remember what I was going to type!

I really enjoy this piece! Lovely curves and a knockout finish that really lets that burl do some talkin'. Pretty tough to find fault with this piece, but I keep looking at the dissimilar sized bands on either side of the pyro area… I'm wondering if that bottom ring might look better if it were smaller like the band above? Congrats on the sales and becoming established as a stocking vendor… If you'd stop buying new tools, you might be able to trim back on the hours at the office!

This one's not sitting on the shelf for long! I love the feature ring, size and pyro work, a perfect balance, IMO. The burl is fantastic with a great finish & form.
    "Top Shelf"

3. John, Isn't experimenting with new techniques, tools and materials fun! I love the piece and applaud your willingness to move into new "territories". As long as you continue to have fun your pieces will always be interesting!

Fantastic piece John, I love the redwood burl, and it is such a wonderful wood to turn too. I think the accent ring and your pyrography work exceptionally well with this piece. Another great finish with the WTF, my can is waiting for me to try, now if school will just let me
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

ah, very appealing vessel. The maple looks great with the burl, not only color-wise, but also it's clean vs. the swirly burl. The design, gives me a middle eastern feeling. I think this will stand out in any gallery, and get a lot of interest. Good luck at the artisan center
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I guess this thread surfaced again - thanks for taking a look! Michelle, I was surprised at the choices made by the director at the Artisan Center. When I was there last year, they were more interested in the SW influenced pieces. This time, I took over a fairly wide assortment and they chose mostly the more delicate pieces!! The comments were that they represented a new look for them, and the pieces would be displayed under glass. One just never knows!

I have another exhibit coming up in May, and this one would work well in that setting. I also need to trade out some of my pieces in the various galleries, so perhaps this one will work for that, as well.