Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop tour #5

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    Why do I expect you to tell us the floor is flat within .003"? I know, it's a seasonal thing. I like the clamp warmer!! Looking at the previous interior and exterior shots I was wondering about insulation - now I know!

I take it your building inspector knows more about post and beam and timber frame contruction than mine. Mine can't comprehend what is load bearing and what isn't! None the less, always nice to see a little steel in there.

Quick question on the floor outlets. Are they flush on the floor or sticking up? Do they require covers to keep them clean? Let me know so I can do it right.
    Thanks.
    Hi david

The floor outlets have changed as the shop has evolved. At first they were above grade and turned on their sides so they would not fill up with sawdust. After a while and a few machine swaps, I have removed the above grade ones and now they are flush with the machine hard wired to them via a heavy duty rubber cord.

The steel beam was needed because I wanted to have a 28 ( or 26' can't remember ) clear span in which a loft tied into it. I haven't shown the loft yet, but I have over 10000 lbs of lumber stored up there and it neede to be very well supported. I designed the beam and had it built at the local welding shop. It was not that expensive in reality.

lou

Lou, under the U.S. Constitution, Eighth Amendment, it reads; "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted"

'nuff said.

Seriously, you have a beautiful shop and I have enjoyed your tours a great deal!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Lou.......Sure talent,last post pictures I loved the floors. But now the high ceilings tops them all. (Simply Marvels). Aloha No ....
    Revealing unknown Beauty, with a touch of finesse

What an interesting space! Great Job. Enviously, Jerry
    Jerry

Wow !!!

That is one well thought out shop. You mentined the real hot and stickey summer in New England. No A/C??

How big is that main beam supporting your lumber loft? It looks huge !!

Very Nice shop and one that is placed in the top 10 of all time shop tours.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    Hi david
    but I have over 10000 lbs of lumber stored up there and it neede to be very well supported.
    Somehow I figured there was probably more to show. I bet that lumber is all chestnut and quilted mohagany also.

Very nice Lou, can you tell we like it ?

Thumbs up

(...on knees w/arms flailing) ..."I'm not worthy! "

That's an incredible shop dwelling!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Very nice new installment on the tour, Lou! Impressive structure. Do you have any pictures from during the time you were building the timberframe, etc.? That would really be interesting to see.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is amazing!!!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Very nice new installment on the tour, Lou! Impressive structure. Do you have any pictures from during the time you were building the timberframe, etc.? That would really be interesting to see.
    Hi jim and others..
    thanks for the many nice comments. I wish I had pictures of the building process. I only took a few with an instamatic camera and the quality is not very good. I tried to scan them, no good...

The Steel beam is 6" wide by 18" tall. It is way oversized, but I wanted to make sure I did not have a problem. I can't emphasize enough for those who are planning on building their dream shop, that a wooden floor over concrete is well worth the trouble. It does add expense, but it is not that bad if you look around. The floor that I installed is hickory. Normally it is sort of pricey for flooring, but it also has a bad tendency to "sticker stain". This lot did and I was able to pick up the entire 1200 bd feet for about 1/5 the normal cost. If folks are interested in the souce for that lumber in CT. PM me with your request and I will provide it.

Again thanks for looking and keep asking questions. I have made my share of mistakes along the way as well. One of them was not insulating the main floor and the other was not installing radient floor heat.

lou