Thread: Help with Gamble Bookcase feet

Help with Gamble Bookcase feet

I need some help interpreting the drawings of the Gamble Bookcase in Bob Lang's book Shop Drawings for G &G Furniture. I don't think its just my inexperience; I've asked some woodworking friends (one who builds furniture for a living) and neither of them could figure it out, either.

Here's the situation:
    The feet of the Gamble bookcase are listed as 1 1/2" tall bottom right of page 57, but are then listed as 7/8" tall on the bottom left of page 58. I must be missing something...
    It seems that they are 1 1/2" tall and the 7/8" dimension refers to the distance from top to bottom at the point where the foot is cutaway on the underside (which he never draws but is visible in the photo). However, as I look at it, that doesn't really add up either...
    Anyway, I just need to get the height of the feet correct so that as I try to "eyeball" the curves and roundovers on the front of it, I'll at least be starting from dimensions that are as close as I can get them.

My next question:
    The "side section" on the bottom of p. 58 suggests that the center foot is stepped back from the plane of the outside feet. Is this correct? Its hard to tell from the photo, but they look the same (either the photo in the book or on the virtual archives online).

Also why are the feet not drawn at the same height in the front and side elevations drawn on page 55? Its the same foot drawn from different angles; one would think they would be shown at the same height, but clearly the side elevation shows it as shorter than the front elevation.

I lost sleep over this a couple nights ago, and I really need some help.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance....

Could you post a link to the archive image?

Could it be something like this?

From the archive images I could find of bookcases in the Gamble house, if the overall height is 1-1/2 inches, I don't think the relief cut would be 7/8 in.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.