Thread: Router bits and books.

Router bits and books.

I have two somewhat related questions.

1 - I’m looking for a good router book. One that’s more advanced verses a beginner’s book. One that has a bunch of jig ideas / plans and maybe a good router table plan. I built the ‘Norm’ table a few years ago, but have decided to build a new table that better fits my needs and storage requirements, better dust collection, etc. I’d like to see some ideas for the next table. I have Hylton’s Illustrated guide to cabinet making and constantly refer back to that book. He has several router books and I’m not sure which one I should get, or if there is a better one from a different author out there.

2 – I’ve been buying Whiteside bits for the past three or four years. I don’t really remember why or how I got to buying their bits. They seam to work fine. I need to order a bunch of new bits for a couple pending projects and figured I’d ask this group what the preferred bit manufacture is before I place my order.

As always, thanks for your time.

I'd go with the two Bill Hylton. Woodworking with the Router and Router Magic. For some reason i can't find a regular listing in Amazon. I bought mine from there, so I know they were selling it at one time.

If I need something quick or I catch a sale, I buy Woodcraft's store brand bits. Other than that i buy whiteside and have never had a problem. I've alos bought Porter Cable and Bosch bits and not been impressed. No actual problems with the PC bits, just don't get the high quality feeling I get from Whiteside. Bosch bits I have seem to burn, for lack of a better word.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I'd go with the two Bill Hylton. Woodworking with the Router and Router Magic. For some reason i can't find a regular listing in Amazon. I bought mine from there, so I know they were selling it at one time.

If I need something quick or I catch a sale, I buy Woodcraft's store brand bits. Other than that i buy whiteside and have never had a problem. I've alos bought Porter Cable and Bosch bits and not been impressed. No actual problems with the PC bits, just don't get the high quality feeling I get from Whiteside. Bosch bits I have seem to burn, for lack of a better word.
    I agree with the book recommendations. Both are excellent.
    I live in a very rural are and the closest decent woodworking supply is over 150 mi. away. Consequently, I buy bits online and have been very satisfied with MLCS and their KATANA bits.
    I hear that Home Depot is now stocking Freud bits. Might give them a try as they are only 30 mi. away.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Borders carries Router Magic, and others.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The new edition (2007?) of Hylton's WWing with the Router has really wonderful photographs. The clarity really helps when you are trying to carry out one of his projects.

Whiteside has consistently won some of the magazine comparison tests for router bits. Same for torture tests. I mostly have their bits. But to be honest, I think that the quality is somewhat wasted because router bits are so hammered by the high rpms, the heat and the inherent design of the cutting edges.

With a much larger diameter of the bit, a shaper has more of a shearing cut. A router goes "chop-chop-chop", so you can't expect long life or edge retention.

Blog Entries
    I prefer Whiteside bits but have had really good luck with Freud bits too. The Woodcraft bits I've picked up on their $5 sales have done OK but I have been through a couple of their chamfer bits and the Whiteside and Freud are still cutting clean. I will pick up a deal when I come across it. That way I'm OK with tossing the bits when they give out. Whitesides can be sharpened, by them, for a fraction of their cost so in my use, not only do they last longer but, they can be reborn a couple times.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I just recently did alot of dado's for undersized 1/2" ply in a pantry that is part of a set kitchen cabinets that I am currently building. I needed a 3/8" straight bit to make the dado's for the undersized ply (about 7/16").

I purchased a 1/2" shank, 3/8" Freud bit from Home Depot and I am impressed with both the hog-ability of the bit and the cut quality. I've been using the dado jig thats patterned after Glenn Bradley's. Most of the dado's have been in Black Walnut, nice square shoulders on the dados with near zero fuzz.

I am waiting on a Freud Rail and Stile set that I bought new off of Ebay, I'll let you know how it performs when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    I agree with the book recommendations. Both are excellent.
    I live in a very rural are and the closest decent woodworking supply is over 150 mi. away. Consequently, I buy bits online and have been very satisfied with MLCS and their KATANA bits.
    I hear that Home Depot is now stocking Freud bits. Might give them a try as they are only 30 mi. away.
    I can relate to the rural comment. I live 300 miles away from the nearest woodworking supply store, or HD, or a movie theater...... MLCS sends me catalogues, but I have not bought anything from them yet. I typically buy Whiteside from www.routerbits.com

Valdez??
    Where do you get lumber?
    The link for the router bits has some good prices, too.
    Thanks.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Depends on what I'm looking for, but the only two places I've been able to find hardwoods is Reynolds in Palmer and Hardware Specialties in Anchorage. I don't know of anywhere else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I can relate to the rural comment. I live 300 miles away from the nearest woodworking supply store, or HD, or a movie theater...... MLCS sends me catalogues, but I have not bought anything from them yet. I typically buy Whiteside from www.routerbits.com
    Holbren offers 10% discounts to SMC members with the code SMC10. The website isn't super-mature in function but its easy enough to fond things and order from. Brian's shipping is pretty cheap as well. Typical cost comparison at checkout on an 1/8" roundover model 2000C:

Cost of bit at both = $18.00
    Holbren with discount and shipping = 18.51
    Routerbits.com with shipping = 23.95

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-02-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks.... I'll try them.

If you are going to use the profiles a lot or are interested in the most sand free finish Whiteside is my prefered bit, Frued and Eagle America (not cost saver) are close behind. If the profile is available as a Quadra-cut from Freud then I am gettng it, best finish hands down. The other great thing about a high quality bit is the number of times you can sharpen them for a fraction of their purchase price.

I agree with Glenn about Holbren. Every time I research price including shipping, Holbren wins for Whiteside bits. I now buy Whiteside almost exclusiely.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!