Thread: The Logosol M8 Chainsaw mill looks like a real possibility - whats not to like?

The Logosol M8 Chainsaw mill looks like a real possibility - whats not to like?

I've been researching M8 (M7 no longer available) "woodworkers" version. With the limited skid roads, I need to be able to go to the tree, not bring the tree to the mill, a lot of the time. I'll mainly be milling alder, which as many of you know, even 12" dia ( at least in the NW) is fairly good sized tree.

I have been pretty impressed with what I've seen (videos) & heard talking with Bailey sales rep. With that said & going on the assumption a lot of you know what this mill is I wonder why this CS mill isn't praised more. Seems like all CS mills are lumped together as "sweat mills", kerf wasting, slow mos. I don't see those charactoristics in the videos: You work at a comfortable height, you don't push the saw thru, easy method for setting thickness, with big enough saw & Logosol thin-kerf bar, the mill cuts at a decent speed. The Bailey rep said with that set up the board won't need much planning to achieve flatness. (Of course a lot depends on the drying process). BTW they recommend using cooking oil with a emulsifier as chain oil when milling.

As far as getting the log up on the mill, if need be, I can use my Portable rope Logging Winch. (I should write about it sometime - I never hear it mentioned in any of the wood working forums ).

Anyone care to comment on the Logosol M7 or M8 compared to other portable units out there?
    Last edited by Mike Kelsey; 04-27-2012 at 6:03 PM.

The Logosol is a nice system for a chain mill. Definitely requires two to three people to carry it plus the saw, gas etc. if you're going any distance with it. If you're getting a Stihl MS 660 (recommended) to go with that setup you'll want the NWP piston upgrade: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...item=BBN%20066 and a Granberg ripping chain.

Chainsaw mills don't get a lot of positive words for two reasons; chainsaws can be extremely temperamental (not great to be deep in the forest when the saw won't start) and they waste a lot of wood comparative to a bandsaw mill. Thin-kerf ripping chains certainly help but they're still substantially thicker than a Woodmizer type blade. If you're only option to get to the logs you're after is a CS mill, the Logosol is your best bet.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 04-27-2012 at 9:55 PM.

This is what is confusinig in the videos . One from Logosol vids shows a single person off loading it from a car, but I did note a spec weight of 150lbs, although that may be for the full sized M8 not the "woodworker"
    ' which is half-as long. I'll have to pursue 'portability with Bailey's further. Also some vids show a single person walking the log up into position. This is partly why I'm seeking the opinions of others. For me the wood loss from kerf thickness is a non-issue. I would like a 660,but I do have a magnum 441 which starts fairly easily, as well as the older o32 & 034. As I said I'll mainly be cutting Alder, so IF I go this route I can upgrade. I like all the upgrade possibilities Logosol offers.

Thanks for the reply, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The Logosol is a nice system for a chain mill. Definitely requires two to three people to carry it plus the saw, gas etc. if you're going any distance with it. If you're getting a Stihl MS 660 (recommended) to go with that setup you'll want the NWP piston upgrade: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...item=BBN%20066 and a Granberg ripping chain.

Chainsaw mills don't get a lot of positive words for two reasons; chainsaws can be extremely temperamental (not great to be deep in the forest when the saw won't start) and they waste a lot of wood comparative to a bandsaw mill. Thin-kerf ripping chains certainly help but they're still substantially thicker than a Woodmizer type blade. If you're only option to get to the logs you're after is a CS mill, the Logosol is your best bet.
    Last edited by Mike Kelsey; 04-27-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

In your research you have probably run across this site: http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/

I don't have a mill myself, but I've spent a lot of time over there when was climbing climbed trees recreationally. They also have a great chainsaw sub-forum.

Thanks for the reminder, Ole,

I'm use to posting on the creek for woodworking advice, but your right about their chainsaw form. I have looked at it & realize just how proactive concerning CS mills it is, so I posted there also..

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Mike,

In your research you have probably run across this site: http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/

I don't have a mill myself, but I've spent a lot of time over there when was climbing climbed trees recreationally. They also have a great chainsaw sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelsey View Post
    This is what is confusinig in the videos . One from Logosol vids shows a single person off loading it from a car, but I did note a spec weight of 150lbs, although that may be for the full sized M8 not the "woodworker"
    ' which is half-as long. I'll have to pursue 'portability with Bailey's further. Also some vids show a single person walking the log up into position. This is partly why I'm seeking the opinions of others. For me the wood loss from kerf thickness is a non-issue. I would like a 660,but I do have a magnum 441 which starts fairly easily, as well as the older o32 & 034. As I said I'll mainly be cutting Alder, so IF I go this route I can upgrade. I like all the upgrade possibilities Logosol offers.

Thanks for the reply, Peter
    If you watch the video, you'll notice how flat the terrain is (typical in Sweden). Trying to lug the M8 plus the saw, gas and cant hook up and down hill on a narrow trail in the Catskills was quite another matter. Guess it just depends on your situation.