Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawstop Problems?

I've only had one brake fire while cutting through multiple brad nails. It was my own fault for not bypassing the safety mechanism as I knew that I was going to cut through the brads. The only saving grace was that I was using a crappy blade but it was a pain to have to wait for another brake cartridge before using the saw again. I initially thought about buying a back up brake but at ~$70 a pop, I am still only using one regular brake cartridge (and a dado cartridge).

The only other issue I encountered with the PCS saw was a code to adjust the brake distance from the blade and despite multiple unsuccessful tries at resetting the correct distance between the brake and blade, I called customer service and spoke with Darren, who immediately identified the issue, which is a known idiosyncracy of the PCS. If the riving knife (or blade guard) is removed from the clamp, the clamp can sag and drain the radiofrequency telling the cartridge that it is not adjusted correctly. The fix (for me) was to simply saw off a second riving knife that I had and insert it into the clamp to hold it up for dado operations. Darren mentioned that a thin piece of wood inserted into the clamp would accomplish the same thing.

I love my 3 HP SawStop PCS saw and would definitely buy one again.

Tom

Thanks for your responses guys. Based on what you have said I will now go with the regular base and if I don't like it will upgrade to the Industrial base. It's really amazing how everyone likes this product.

Have the ICS since 2007? Starting to forget. Anyway This machined replaced a PM 66 and is a VAST improvement as saw - not to mention the safety. Great customer service too!

Earlier this year i switched over from a 15 yr old (+/-) unisaw to the 3 hp ss cabinet saw - with the 32" xtension - set up was quite seamless - i was actually very impressed at the manual and the color coded blister-packing of the hardware - then with just a few small tweaks all the settings were dead-on. you will like the saw.
    jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Thanks for your responses guys. Based on what you have said I will now go with the regular base and if I don't like it will upgrade to the Industrial base. It's really amazing how everyone likes this product.
    I too haven't seen/heard many (actually I don't recall reading/hearing any) who didn't like this machine. Their manuals and customer service are excellent, so is the product.

I have the industrial mobile base under my PCS and love it. two or three pumps (bring your lunch, the pumps are like 3" strokes that take maybe a whole second each!) and the machine is up and on four swivel casters so you can turn or push it in any direction - no steering! I lover that plus the casters are so good that if you give it a little shove it will sort of float across the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

7. Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The only little nits I have with my SS is:

1) The dc ain't as good - FOR ME - as my previous Sharkguard. I wish it was a 4" port.
    2) A normal 8" dado stack does not work with the regular SS brake cartridge; you need to buy a second one. This means more cost and a little more hassle during use. Others may differ, but this is my opinion.
    3) Accidental brake firings are common - mainly bkz of contact with metal miter gauges. That's a hassle, but the sound and the sight of the mangled metal brake is a sobering reminder of how dangerous any saw is. So I can't decide if this is a bad or good thing...

Also, in this price range, it's fair to compare it to the new Unisaw, which has a slightly niftier riving knife and angle adjustment wheel on the front. These are both nice (IMHO) to have.
    I'm not sure when you bought your Sawstop, but I just bought the 1.75hp PCS last week, and it has a 4" dust port with a great dust collecting "shroud" around the bottom of the blade. I don't have the dust collection blade guard (yet), and even when I made a cut with my dust collector off, the 4" tubing inside the saw collected most of the dust. The stock blade guard is pretty cool compared to other blade guards that ride up on top of the board, but obviously doesn't aid in dust collection like the DC blade guard probably does. With my dust collector turned on, there's almost no residual dust left inside the saw.

This saw is unbelievably better than the discount saw I just replaced. I'd forgotten what it was like to use a "real" table saw. I also bought the 36" T-Glide fence, and it is a solid, precise fence that compliments a solid, precise saw. I used the rebate on the mobile base, but haven't yet received it from Sawstop (customer service e-mailed me on Tuesday saying that it was shipping on Wednesday - I e-mailed the rebate form in on Saturday)

bought a new Unisaw in Feb. really good saw, but i ended up returning it pretty quickly due to serious customer service problems. got a SawStop. better saw and their customer service is second to NONE. get the SawStop.

It squeaks when the blade is raised and lowered. It is too heavy for a jobsite saw. And the inside is covered with sawdust. Other than that, I got nothing bad to say.

+1 on blade guard and dust collection....I don't even use them anymore...other than that my 2005 ICS is great...a definite improvement over my 1940's Unisaw.

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    It squeaks when the blade is raised and lowered. It is too heavy for a jobsite saw. And the inside is covered with sawdust. Other than that, I got nothing bad to say.
    WHAT? Your saw squeaks? I'd take it back..... My saw doesn't.

I have the same or similar nits. I have an older ICS. THere is NO over table dust collection, but the saw and service quality is top notch. I do a lot of 1/8" cuts, so my guard is off a lot anyways.... Have yet to fire my brake. Knock on wood. You'll love your saw.

I find it a little annoying to have to change the cartridge when switching from dado to regular blade. Customer service is fantastic, and the instruction manual/color coded parts sections/organization is hands down the best I've ever seen in any product. I wish there was a little more room for your hand to change blades. That may be common to other table saws.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My PCS has a 4" port below the blade too. *In my experience, it is as good as my previous saw: *mediocre.

My nitpick was with the blade guard. *My previous saw had a Sharkguard aboveblade shroud. *It had a 4" port. The new fangled Sawstop blade guard has a tiny port that does not do a good job of catching dust. *This guard has many fans and a few critics. *I'm one of the critics. *The guard would be much better IMHO if it a) had cheeks that were independently moveable so even on trimming cuts, the cut line would be enclosed, and b) if the port were widened to 4" and attached straight to the top instead of out the back and going through that channel. *That channel, in my nonscientific opinion is overengineered. *It clogs and is narrow. *

Hey, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my PCS. *I just don't love the guard.

Thanks for all the informative responses to my post. I bought the Professional model with the 36 inch fence and the Industrial base. This is the finest piece of woodworking equipment that I have ever owned - I have Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic, Craftsman equipment. The assembly was a pleasure, the manual is a work of art, the engineering and fabrication of the saw is excellent, the quality of the components is great, everything is finished in black powder coat - even the nuts a bolts. Instructions for assembly and adjustment are easy to follow and accurate - had to adjust the blade parallelism about 4 thousandths and had no problem. The Industrial base with its hydraulic mechanism is a joy to use - you can rotate the saw completely in its footprint. The 36 in fence is great. I attached a cast iron router table on the right side and a Jessem slider on the left. With the Industrial base I do not need the legs on the right side of the saw for support. Dust collection is excellent - I have the 1.75hp model and do not have over the blade collection. I look forward to many years of safe and enjoyable use from this saw. I do not work for SawStop.

I also really like the Jessem slider as it allows you to move around the saw on the mobile base.