Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Track saws...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I'll check for you on Thursday when mine comes Oddly, they shipped it in 3 separate boxes via 2 different carriers, and all of it is arriving much later than my 2-day Amazon Prime should be taking...
    It wasn't eligable for Prime 2 day shipping, at least that is what it said when I ordered. Mine seems to be taking either 6 or 7 days based on the tracking.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    $379 for not just the saw and not just the 55" rail but also for teh 104" rail that they'll probably destroy in shipping...
    I was gonna say that 104" is pretty much guaranteed to be destroyed. Tools-plus refuses to ship those longer tracks now, because so many were destroyed in shipping. And great deal! At that price I probably would have gone with the DeWalt, but I think the Festool is where I'll end up.

I've read Festool has a lot of problems with their long rail shipments too.

when you guys say that the rails get bent, which way are you talking about? i wouldn't mind a bend as long as it's slight and perpendicular to the rail as opposed to a lateral bend... but we'll probably find out later this week!

Well, contacted AmazonSupply about the damaged 102" rail. These guys are extremely helpful in making things right. But they have to be losing money on this package deal, based on what I've read here and other forums about damage to the long rail in shipping. I called them this morning, told them about the damage and asked for a replacement. Initially, they want to refund the cost of the whole kit (saw and rails) and return it. They are out of stock of the kit and I wouldn't get another one. Besides, all I wanted was a replacement long rail. James checked into it, called me back in an hour and shipped me a new rail. Actually, the way Amazon works, I purchased the new rail, they refunded me that cost to my CC and they shipped it next day. Should arrive tomorrow.
    Now here's the thing; they don't want the damaged rail back. Said to keep it and do what I want with it. I explained to him that the only damage was to the anti-splinter strip separating from the track where the carton was smashed. The rail is fine and with a little tweaking, I could reattach the strip or get a new one to put on. As I paid for a new system, I want it to arrive undamaged and ready to go. Thus the call to AmazonSupply.
    Hoping the new long track arrives unscathed, I'll have two good long rails. Look for one in the Classifieds soon, local pick up only.
    Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I do have some sheet goods to break down soon. Looking forward to splinter free rips.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heffernan View Post
    Well, contacted AmazonSupply about the damaged 102" rail. These guys are extremely helpful in making things right. But they have to be losing money on this package deal, based on what I've read here and other forums about damage to the long rail in shipping. I called them this morning, told them about the damage and asked for a replacement. Initially, they want to refund the cost of the whole kit (saw and rails) and return it. They are out of stock of the kit and I wouldn't get another one. Besides, all I wanted was a replacement long rail. James checked into it, called me back in an hour and shipped me a new rail. Actually, the way Amazon works, I purchased the new rail, they refunded me that cost to my CC and they shipped it next day. Should arrive tomorrow.
    Now here's the thing; they don't want the damaged rail back. Said to keep it and do what I want with it. I explained to him that the only damage was to the anti-splinter strip separating from the track where the carton was smashed. The rail is fine and with a little tweaking, I could reattach the strip or get a new one to put on. As I paid for a new system, I want it to arrive undamaged and ready to go. Thus the call to AmazonSupply.
    Hoping the new long track arrives unscathed, I'll have two good long rails. Look for one in the Classifieds soon, local pick up only.
    Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I do have some sheet goods to break down soon. Looking forward to splinter free rips.
    The splinter guard was detached? Seriously?

If you'd have seen my rail you'd be embarrassed to get a replacement for that minor of damage.

Mine was bent almost in half at about a 30 degree angle. The poor mdf packaging didnt have a chance. And the end that was suddenly free of packaging was nicely dented, bent, gouged, etc.
    Last edited by Kurt Cady; 04-04-2012 at 12:41 PM.

I too am really worried about the long rail. My luck with shipping hasn't been so great. It's coming on Friday... so fingers are crossed!

Now you have me worried. I am supposed to get mine today. Hopefully it will be in one piece.

Rick Potter

If it helps ease your mind my long rail came in one piece undamaged. Fed Ex brought the rails (which may explain the safe shipping). CAVA brought the saw. Don't understand why Fed Ex couldn't have brought everything, but it all showed up eventually.

Cliff

Yeah, I got a call from Cava. I can understand shipping via freight for big machinery... but I don't understand why they're using them for this. Kind of a pain because I have to be home to take delivery.

I only have one tracking number, so I don't know whether it will come via 2 shipments or 1.

Mike,
    Id feel a little ashamed but it's not your fault they didn't want the old one back.

I had a problem with the rubber missing on the handle of a jet parallel clamp. I told them, they knew exactly which part I was talking about. 7 days later I get an entirely new clamp.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

I wondered the same thing until recently. I have certainly been able to get by without one for years and years. I have a cabinet saw and a nice circular saw. I have started a home remodel which includes a bunch of built-ins and cabinets.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchased a DeWalt track saw. The weight and precision of the saw is head and shoulders above my circular saw. Breaking down plywood is a breeze. I would say the cut is as good (if not better) than my table saw. The reason I say better is I never seemed to be able to get a perfect cut while wrangling a full sheet of plywood onto the table saw in my garage. It's getting even more difficult as I get older.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

I'm with you there! Cutting full sheets of plywood on a tablesaw is one of my least favorite things to do in the shop. It's really hard to control, you have to spend a bunch of time setting up roller stands, etc. And the accuracy always leaves something to be desired.

That said, I still picture myself only using my track saw for breaking sheets down. I have a sliding table attachment on my table saw, I can easily square up rough-cut pieces and get parallel sides using the rip fence.

Well, I just got mine. Packaging looks perfect, but the 8' track is not there, nor is it on their form as backordered. Next stop Amazon.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    I got one of these. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PPS-2.html

For the money, it works great!. Much better than a simple straight edge, But not near as expensive as the others. For me it was just the thing!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.