View Poll Results: How much resaw height does your bandsaw have?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-2.9"

2 0.86%
  • 3.0-5.9"

19 8.19%
  • 6.0-8.9"

22 9.48%
  • 9.0-11.9"

36 15.52%
  • 12.0-13.9"

101 43.53%
  • 14.0-15.9"

20 8.62%
  • 16.0-17.9"

15 6.47%
  • 18.0-19.9"

6 2.59%
  • 20-21.9"

4 1.72%
  • 22 plus inches

7 3.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many inches or resaw do you have?

How many inches or resaw do you have?

How many inches of resaw do you have on your bandsaw. If you have more than one bandsaw, and you SHOULD, answer for the one with the most resaw height. I will post another poll in the next couple of days to determine what is the most resaw height you have actually used.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

7", and I've used all seven.

Poll would be interesting, IMHO. I've often wondered how many times (if ever) people use these outrageous resaw heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    7", and I've used all seven.

Poll would be interesting, IMHO. I've often wondered how many times (if ever) people use these outrageous resaw heights.

Sorry, it takes an extra couple of minutes to actually get the poll up, please vote if you get a chance Phil.

I am curious how much people actually use also, we shall see. I have several BS related polls I want to do in the next little while.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My bandsaw (homemade) has just under 17" resaw height and I have used all of it.

12 3/8", I've come close to the max.

It doesn't make for a good poll, but a large height w/o the power to do an effective cut means very little. My 14" Jet, 1 hp has a riser block, but 12" of cut is really beyond what it can do unless I go r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w. The 15" or so on my 30"/5 hp Hall & Brown is a different story all together.

Kirk

I have a saw with 12" capacity and have used about 6" for resawing.

Most of my work is with QSWO for A&C furniture, and wide material isn't common.

I have used all the available height making lumber from logs, and wouldn't mind more capacity for that.........Regards, Rod.

I have 12" but have maxed at 8".

22' but can't remember going over 13". May do it this weekend just to say I did. Dave

Technically, 20"

My old Tannewitz 'technically' has a 20" capability. I say technically because I've never cranked it up all the way as it gets really difficult to crank up the farther I go. I'm not sure if something's tweaked or or if over the years, because the upper limits were just no-man's land, she don't want to go there. One time I had a guy stand on the table, pulling up on the top guide assembly as I cranked to get it up around 15 to 16". The 20" limit is almost moot with me because most of the stuff I do is hideously dense like cocobolo and ziricote, so even if I could get it up all the way, the blade would never get through it properly. If I ever resaw my wider mahogany though, I'll need to get the guy back to heft and hoist while I crank.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    It doesn't make for a good poll, but a large height w/o the power to do an effective cut means very little. My 14" Jet, 1 hp has a riser block, but 12" of cut is really beyond what it can do unless I go r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w. The 15" or so on my 30"/5 hp Hall & Brown is a different story all together.

Kirk
    I actually am planning a poll regarding power vs resaw height. Setting up the different values is the hard part, in most cases it is fractions of a HP per inch so I have to decide how to spread it out to be meaningful.

Used all 18"

Just HAD to see how big a log would go through it. As it was, had to trim it down a bit just to get it under the 18".....

For a practical ww Resaw project, 13" has been the max I have used

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    ...in most cases it is fractions of a HP per inch so I have to decide how to spread it out to be meaningful...
    Wood density and characteristics, blade type, kerf, configuration, and tension (don't mean to open a can of worms)...so many variables.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Stathatos View Post
    Wood density and characteristics, blade type, kerf, configuration, and tension (don't mean to open a can of worms)...so many variables.

I won't be asking for an opinion on what is acceptable or the like, just will be asking how much hp per inch of resaw do you have, simple and objective. I have my own general rules of thumb the most basic being .25 hp per inch but I am curious what people actually have my guess is the top of the likely bell curve will be about .18hp/in. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    How many inches of resaw do you have on your bandsaw. If you have more than one bandsaw, and you SHOULD, answer for the one with the most resaw height. I will post another poll in the next couple of days to determine what is the most resaw height you have actually used.
    So.......Van, how many check marks did you answer?? I wonder if you have one in every category
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.