Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what is most powerful smelling wood?

My walnut burl smelled like a doggie accident. Don't try that one.

Buy a couple of cedar boards and make something.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Another vote for Western Yellow Cedar. Wonderful stuff.

East Tennessee, USA (foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains)
    Freshly harvested Eastern Hemlock if ya like the pungent aroma of Turpentine; it will take your breath away!

Blog Entries
    I always liked the smell when cutting fir plywood. Not fancy, but a good shop smell.

Kevin, I have some maple that is arguably the most pungent wood I've ever smelled. NOT at all in a GOOD way either. I'd be happy to send you some. Then you can make a bunch of shavings out of it, and your shop can smell as bad as mine for weeks!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Some of the most pungent smells I can think of come from a dull saw blade and thick wood. Burnt pine lasts a long time, and anything involving Luan plywood on the table saw smells for days.

I got to where I would not buy plywood with Verona ply cores. That stuff is just nasty.

I love the smell of bubinga!

Green white oak...smells like a whiskey barrel!

go cut and split some wet oak, and stack it in your shop to dry. then you will have a real wood smell
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I pruned some bottle brush bushes and shredded the wood, it gave off a very sweet smell. It was one of the best smelling wood I have ever smelled. I love the smell of pine that has been freshly cut. I have a small barn that was built in 1943 out of Tamarack. The walls are 1"x8" and the supports are log beams. The wood still has a nice comfortable smell but I can't describe a comparable like smell.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I have a small barn that was built in 1943 out of Tamarack. The walls are 1"x8" and the supports are log beams. The wood still has a nice comfortable smell but I can't describe a comparable like smell.
    Wow David,
    You just hit a memory for me. My Dad was born in a Minnesota Tamarack log cabin in 1911. He and I hunted near that cabin when I was a boy. Dad told me many stories in that cabin and several Tamarack barns that were still sound in the 1960's. The smell was earthy and exactly as you describe.

I love the smell of Brazilian Rosewood.

The smell of Doug Fir reminds me of the neighborhood lumber yard as a boy. I'd lurk around the yard and dream about woodworking as often as I could. To this day, when I cut Doug Fir I go right back to boyhood dreaming.

I'm so lucky that my current local yard only carries real Doug Fir. SPF creates BAD dreams!

Lignum vitae is very strong and smells like powerful cologne/perfume. My workshop tho tends to smell like a Bug Candle and spray Off in an attempt to keep the mosquitos at bay

Santos Mahogany (Myroxylon balsamum ) has a very long lasting smell, like cinnamon and cloves. I sucked up some dust with my shop-vac and it perfumed the shop for months every time I turned it on.

Brazilian Rosewood smells the best but that would be some seriously expensive shavings.

Blog Entries
    The smell is not powerful but fresh cut pine takes me back 5o years or so to my grandfathers shop.