Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what is most powerful smelling wood?

I like the idea of an air freshener more so than sawdust which could have negative health effects. haha

During the holidays there will be an explosion in pine fragrances, and then you can buy them cheap in january when they go on clearance.

I bought the large New Yankee Candles for $7 instead of $30, and one of them was called "home for christmas", and it smells the house like a fresh cut pine christmas tree.

Green RED oak smells like cat urine!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Unfortunately, sandalwood oil is largely prohibited in the world.
    Why is this?

I machined a large amount of aromatic cedar years ago. I had to pull my dust collector apart and thoroughly clean the bags because the smell was giving me a headache. I like it in small amounts, but too much is too much.

Naturally processed cedar gets my vote...bear-sitting-picnic-table.jpg

Now, who's going to argue with HIM?!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Pass the popcorn...this is entertaining.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Olive wood. Smells very different and very pleasant - like a sweet vinagerette dressing.

Tulip poplar smells like a horse stall to me, which is not entirely unpleasant.

Wet Red Bud smells like a moldy dish rag and will definitely give your shop some odor, but cedar would be a better choice. I turned a piece of Lebanon Cedar that had a nice sweet smell and to me was better than the normal aromatic red cedar. Even sappy yellow pine has a good smell when cut on table saw, jointer, or planer.

Since some did mention not good smelling wood.... The most powerful wood that I have turned is Orchid Tree (Bauhinia). I turn with a resiprator, so I could not smell it. My wife came out from inside the house and asked what I was turning. So did my neighbor across the street. It is much more aromatic than cedar, camphor and lig vitae. Just my opinion of course.

overharvesting. It's an endangered species, but the Indian government could not control the pirate harvesting for many years. Now, sadly, there's not much left. It's highly regulated.

I would love to get the smell of Amboyna. Heck I would wear the stuff if I could.
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD

Vera wood is fantastic it is sweet and very pleasant. a little bit would really make my shop smell good. the sawdust can be squeezed together and would form a clump no dust mask needed.
    desert ironwood I had smelled like there was a dead animal in it. very nasty. bloodwood is pretty sweet but it makes super fine very hard to capture dust. Hate the smell of bamboo sometimes it can be ok sometimes very strong.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Heart Pine gets my vote.