Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can do some pretty amazing things....

Red face I can do some pretty amazing things....

....like glue up a heavy solid interior door (30 X 80). Anybody can do that, right?
    Sand all the parts and identify all the parts to ensure the glueup goes smoothly. Even give a coat of finish to the loose panel prior to the glueup.
    Glueup went well -even a bit faster than I thought it would take.

BUT, how many of you can come back to check the glueup and suddenly notice the loose panel leaning against the wall?
    Yep, I forgot to insert the loose panel????
    heavy sigh....

We have all done something similar in some aspect of our lives, I am not sure that I would have been man enough to post it though!!

I don't think I have ever made anything that I did do something like that. Every time I do it I think well this time I learned and I won't do that again, but the problem is I don't make the same things over and over so I screw up on the next thing.

But I still keep building things.....

Heavy Sigh !
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I made a bottomless drawer once. It didn't function very well.

Sure happens to me. After making careful measurements and fiddling with the setup to get my drawer joints cut and fit properly, I dry fit my drawer together and thought I'd try fitting it in the carcass. Seems I forgot to leave the 1/2" on each side to accommodate the slides... At least I hadn't glued it.

No pics, didn't happen...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I bet he soooo wishes that were true!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    That's why I never take pictures of my mistakes.

oh that's painful...

One doesn't acquire the unique skill of breaking glue joints and removing brad nails by being perfect.

I've always believed that if there is a higher power, s/he has a sense of humor. Happy April Fool's?

We all do stuff like this - I appreciate when someone has the cajones to share because it sure makes me feel better about my goofs.

It is times like this when I give in to my primitive side...and smash something.

Take a picture and send it into Family Handyman. Maybe you can at least get $100 for your torture.

Just remember what Kelly Clarkson says: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The issue that I face is not whether I make mistakes (I do, and they are plentiful), it is how do I recover from those mistakes. For instance, I am in the process of finishing my console, made out of some cherry. My panels were inserted correctly and glued up correctly. However, the next step was to route a groove for the front frame to fit in. This groove had to be made on the inside of the panel assemblies (the floating panel was flush on the inside but recessed on the outside). Sure enough, I routed the wrong side! ARRRGGG! The fix was involved but effective ( I cut off the offending grooves, edge glued more cherry to make up for the loss, sanded and re-routed, this time on the correct side) Problem solved, although I have not told LOML about this. Wonder if she will notice.

So, Brian,

What did you do to recover from this? Were you able to salvage any parts of the door, or did you have to start over?

John

John