Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I can do some pretty amazing things....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    One doesn't acquire the unique skill of breaking glue joints and removing brad nails by being perfect.
    hahaha... i'm almost a master of this!

Hmm, my progress towards perfection seems to be accelerating!

I think you should make parallel cuts with a circular saw across the top edge of the door. Chisel out a 4" groove, or whatever it takes to drop in that panel. Then glue and pound in a board into the groove. Problem solved.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Sigh.....

147-4738_IMG.jpg

Sigh...It DID happen after all...
    I drink, therefore I am.

oh man, that's such a beautiful panel too! i think you can still salvage it though like brian mentioned. you could always glue on some extra wood to the sides to make up for the slight bit you'll lose to the saw kerf.

Brian - I don't think there is anybody who hasn't made a mistake like that. I don't know the edge detail on the inside of the door but you could route one side out with a rabbit bit, drop your panel in and make some new molding and glue and tack the molding in. Glue the molding to the doorframe and not the panel. Sand, finish and hang that side on the least visible side. ie hallway hang it on the bedroom side or bathroom side. Good luck I hope tis helps
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I agree with John--that's what I'd do too. Even if its a fancier profile, run some of the profile on some stock and cut to produce a matching molding. Install the panel like you would a piece of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas Pluim View Post
    I made a bottomless drawer once. It didn't function very well.
    That would be an awesome junk drawer in the kitchen--never needs cleaning out!

I agree with this. Make the molding a design feature and call it good

That is actually how I made and designed a set of french doors for my last house. The panels were glass, so the entire frame was made, glued, sanded, and sprayed. Then the glass was laid in, with a decorative "molding" that matched the other side of the doors to hold the glass in. Brian, you could easily do that with these panels... But I'm sure you've already come up with a solution.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Bummer, Brian. You could make a mirror out of the frame or something.

I recently glued a drawer together with the bottom panel in the wrong orientation. It was just shy of being a square, so it fit side-to-side. It wasn't until it was all set up in clamps that I realized the drawer bottom didn't reach the back of the drawer. That drawer front was cut from the same board as the aprons and it all went together. *sigh*

We in the natural course of our endeavors make mistakes. It is the man who makes nothing, who makes no mistakes.

Cheers,

Mike

John said:
    <<However, the next step was to route a groove for the front frame to fit in. This groove had to be made on the inside of the panel assemblies (the floating panel was flush on the inside but recessed on the outside). Sure enough, I routed the wrong side! ARRRGGG! The fix was involved but effective ( I cut off the offending grooves, edge glued more cherry to make up for the loss, sanded and re-routed, this time on the correct side) Problem solved, although I have not told LOML about this. Wonder if she will notice.>>

John - A) She probably will never notice. B) This is called creative redesign - something experienced woodworkers learn to get good at!

Bill

Well there's something I can say I haven't done.

yet.

You planned to build this with the additional molding, right?

That's epic. I feel better about my multi-level countertops.

Ever notice the largest departments in the wood store are where they have the moldings, trims, and putties!

You / we are not alone! Russ