Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem Engraving and Cutting Clear Acrylic Sheet

Lower your ppi/dpi/hertz setting on the cut mode.

On cast acrylic I clean this with dna. I leave the paper on most jobs.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Chan View Post
    You can also try to mask it with a wetted A4 paper - soak a sheet of A4 paper in water and then place it onto the acrylic. The wetted paper should help to absorb the residue
    I always suggest against methods like this. Water is a great absorber of CO2 wavelengths, so you're adding one more layer of variability to your settings... this can have a major effect when working with materials that are sensitive to proper settings. The substrates perceived settings change as the paper dries out.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I concur with Dan's points on this. I do not even use wetted paper with glass.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have used the information and have solved my problem.

Regards,

Ric

Epilog 60 watt Helix

Thanks, Doug. I almost always engrave front to back. That is one of the first tricks that Roy Brewer taught me when I first got my machine.

Epilog 60 watt Helix

Hi Dee,

Thanks for the water-soaking idea, it did help the paper come off easier.

I'm interested in your comment about using DNA for cleaning. I use DNA for many things around the house, but whenever I use DNA around acrylic, it immediately causes cracking on the edges that have been cut.

For cleaning off adhesives and removing tape, I use a product called Motsenbocker's Lift Off 2 (pic attached). I discovered this product while helping to remove duct tape from windows after a hurricane. It dissolved the adhesive easily, greatly simplifying the job. It feels a bit oily when working with it, but as soon as it dries there is no residue left. The bonus is that it left the windows spotless with no streaks. It works great on acrylic. I get mine at Ace Hardware.

Regards,

Ric
    Attached Images Attached Images

Epilog 60 watt Helix

Ric, if you search old threads you will find a few opinions on the use of "DNA" for cleaning acrylic. Some people swear by it for cleaning acrylic, others have poor results. There are a few reasons: DNA is not a "unique" formulation. It could be comprised of various types of alcohols, with 30-100% concentration. Also different brands and formulations of acrylic (also cast vs. extruded) react differently. If I look at Acrylite FF (extruded) and Acrylite GM (cast) I see that the data sheets tend to give "no resistance" or "limited resistance" designations for ethyl, methyl, and isopropyl alcohol. Since I use mostly Acrylite products I do not use alcohol. Can you get away with a quick wipe of low-concentration alcohol? Maybe . . . but I'd rather not take risks on a finished part.

The edges are much more sensitive than engraved marks. So you might be able to clean an engraved mark as long as the DNA does not contact an edge.

Do a lot of intricate acrylic work. We use transfer paper for top masking. Immediately after cutting we put them in a bowl of Krud Kutter. Everything lifts off easily and the acrylic comes out shiny.SnowFlake.jpg
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

That's a very nice ornament. Is it a file that you would be willing to share?

Epilog 60 watt Helix