Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, Who makes REALLY GOOD screwdrivers? Or, Apparently Craftsman is the new HF.

OK, Who makes REALLY GOOD screwdrivers? Or, Apparently Craftsman is the new HF.

I'm so sick of the apparently lead tips on my Craftsman screwdrivers! Besides $nap-On (who the last time I needed something gave me a hard time about meeting up with the driver) who makes a really good set of screwdrivers? For square drive screws I recently bought a set of Gearwrench, but that's a little different because those typically have a hardened insert for a tip.

And where can I buy or order what you recommend?

I think I'm going to take all my Craftsman screwdrivers back to Sears, make them exchange all for new (or honor the guarantee written above the door) and sell them on CL! Already did that with all my last round of horrible Craftsman ratchets. Went with Kobalt on those after reading some good reviews.

I like the Klein screwdrivers sold at Home Depot. They are still made in the USA as far as I know.

I've had no issues with Craftsman ratchets, but I am no mechanic.

I agree Craftsman is terrible.

The Husky stuff at HD isn't that bad. Though it has been a while since I purchased one.

Klein is very good.

I typically use magnetic drivers w/ interchangeable bits.

Wright tool makes really good tools and they are made here in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I've had no issues with Craftsman ratchets, but I am no mechanic.
    The last couple I exchanged have steadily declined in the quality of the ratchet action. The deal breaker was ones that slipped going the other way.

Matt, I replaced my Craftsman with this set: Wiha 30297 12-Piece Slotted and Phillips Screwdriver Set

They are much nicer.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You know Lie-Nielsen sells screwdrivers, right?

How apropos. I swear under my breath every time I grab for a slotted screwdriver from my stash of Craftsman tools. Virtually every one has a mangled tip of some sort, most of them damaged during proper use (but I was putting some mojo into them). A couple MAY have been used to pry on something or other when the tips chipped or broke. Maybe. Could have happened.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I think the Lie-Nielsen screwdrivers are made for specifically for working on planes. There's not much of a selection.

And I agree, the Craftsman screwdrivers thouroughly suck.

I like the harbor freight vacuum packed 12 screwdrivers for $7.99.
    I lose them before the tip wears out and I am only out $.72 with tax.
    And furthermore, any screwdriver that isn't orange with a black cushion grip belongs to my wife, so we don't have to keep track anymore.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

+1 for Klein

I still have my 40 year old Craftsman screwdrivers and they are still fine but I have not purchased any of the newer Sears/K-mart/Craftsman tools. I purchased a set of the Craftsman Commercial screwdrivers off of Ebay and they are great. (they are the black ones). Thanks for letting me know about the decline in quality of the Craftsman tools.
    David B

Craftsman screwdrivers are made of cream cheese. I tossed every Phillips Craftsman I have. I kept the flat blades for prying things and putting on bandsaw tires. For everything else, I've been using Wera and have been very pleased.

I have a set of Wear screwdrivers and they are the nicest that I have used.

That said, as I get older and my hands have issues I have been very careful about making certain that they feel good in my hands.

That Wiha set is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I have in mind.

Dont think I could stand to subject the LNs to the abuse of banging around under the hood and handled with greasy hands!
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 04-04-2012 at 8:20 PM.