Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: OK, Who makes REALLY GOOD screwdrivers? Or, Apparently Craftsman is the new HF.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Gee Zach, I've only spent about $100.
    Any luck selling the "cream cheese" after this thread? I'm guessing the 162 viewers on the FS thread have all seen this one first.

Some. Some people have said they are good so I figure it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Wilde makes good prybars. Craftsman rebrands Wilde ones but with how Sears is becoming lately, I would more likely shop Harry Epstein's.
    Thanks--I ordered a set of these as well. I have GOT to plan some time to stop by this place next time I'm in KC!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Well thanks to this thread I just dropped close to $200 on screwdrivers.

I had no idea my old screwdrivers were inadequate...

!!!! Classic.

Well..... since going with cordless, I avoid screwdrivers all together. Dont remember what it was but a while back the cordless wasnt available and I was 'forced' to drive a screw by hand and was swearing the whole time....... smh. Ive gotten old, lazy, and soft.....

Blog Entries
    Craftsman has made a 50+ year journey from excellent to good to junk. Most people want junk. I have some 20 year old Craftsman screwdrivers and they are pretty good.
    A coworker once told me that Sears did a survey to determine if their customers would prefer quality or price.

Price won.

So we can blame it on the customers that answered the survey.

I have worked with many people who feel a low price is more important than if the tool shaped object will work well at its purpose.

Often people will buy a tool for onetime use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A coworker once told me that Sears did a survey to determine if their customers would prefer quality or price.

Price won.

So we can blame it on the customers that answered the survey.

I have worked with many people who feel a low price is more important than if the tool shaped object will work well at its purpose.

Often people will buy a tool for onetime use.

jtk

I buy cheap tools too but if I were 50 miles from the store and my life depend on a screwdriver, I I I hope that the screwdriver in the tool box perform as needed, screwdrivers with parallel sides are the best since they do not damaged the screw slot as badly

To me tools honestly are not really tools. They are more like objects from which i derive satisfaction. Neither my life, safety nor income will ever depend on anything as trivial as a screwdriver, much less a smoothing plane or dovetail saw They really are toys for me. If I didn't like them I'd buy cheap ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    To me tools honestly are not really tools. They are more like objects from which i derive satisfaction. Neither my life, safety nor income will ever depend on anything as trivial as a screwdriver, much less a smoothing plane or dovetail saw They really are toys for me. If I didn't like them I'd buy cheap ones.
    computers, cars and houses are tools for some people and their income and safety even their lives depend on the easy and quick access to them

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    !!!! Classic.

Well..... since going with cordless, I avoid screwdrivers all together. Dont remember what it was but a while back the cordless wasnt available and I was 'forced' to drive a screw by hand and was swearing the whole time....... smh. Ive gotten old, lazy, and soft.....
    LOL, I experienced the same phenomenon last weekend putting up a bird feeder. I debated digging out the DeWalt driver or going neander with the handy screwdriver. Next time I will dig out the DeWalt...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

OK, I got my Wilde pry bars from Eppsteins today. $35 shipped and I get this huge box. These things are gigantic. Granted the are the sizes advertised but that didn't register well in my mind. They'll come in handy for sure, but now I need to find what must be classified as a mini-prybar for all those former screwdriver-as-prybar jobs! They feel really nicely made too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    USA made Stanley stuff is ok. I haven't had any issues with them. I have twisted the tips off my Craftsman stuff. Other than that if you want to turn your own handles the Lee Valley shanks are pretty good.
    I must have USA-made Stanley. I bought a set of 8 black-and-yellow handled Stanleys about 20 years ago and they've held up fairly well. That said, for a while I switched to using a yellow-handled multi-driver (similar to the LV, but not ratcheting) from ACE (purchased about 15 years ago) and intermittently used that instead. Never had a problem with either.

I also have a single clear yellow handled Stanley #2 phillips that has a partially melted tip from where I inadvertently touched both terminals on the garbage disposal (it was a tight area to work in, and I didn't remove the screwdriver before turning to readjust...learned that lesson QUICK!). It has performed excellently for over 20 years.

Regarding Craftsman in general, I have a cman socket set that was a gift from my brother just over 20 years ago. Had to swap the 1/4" ratchet because it broke at least one tooth, but otherwise have had no problems with it. (The swap was painless, as well.)

I'm thinking more and more that I'll have to buy my father a new set of tools and steal all his old ones.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Wera, top notch. I have several sets. Where I work we are a distributor for Wera and periodically they offer screwdriver sets at promotional pricing. At my cost they are very cheap so I have stocked up. It is hard not to buy something when the flyers come out.

Here's a link to an example set on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wera-050182820..._sbs_indust_46

The really tough ones are the Kraftform Plus 900 Series, The Chiseldriver as they call it. They actually show and describe it in the catalog as having an impact cap on the handle. They extend the shank through the handle to a striking cap on top of the handle. The handles are black with yellow grip inserts. You can find them on the internet for around $50 for a six piece set and rack.

We sell quite a bit of Wera in the industrial market. Most of it are insert bits and the quality and durability is much better than the market leader who seems to have fallen down on quality.

All Wera items are pricey but they are top quality.

Tim

Tim just cost me $36.36...even got free shipping. $6.06 per quality screwdriver..that works for me...and the math was easy, too.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I got a box of Wera and Felo screwdrivers in the mail the other day and I like both brands. I think the handles on the Wera are more comfortable.

So I didn't replace my Craftsman Torx screwdrivers because I don't use them that much. I had occasion to use the smallest (T7) this week and does the head strip? No! The handle snaps right in half in my hand. Wihas on order...