Thread: Shellac flakes + isoprophyl ?????

Shellac flakes + isoprophyl ?????

I have heard that if you mix shellac flakes w/Isoprophyl instead of DNA (100% or combo, don't know) it will slow down the drying and would be better when spraying in hotter weather, especially with a rig that blows warm air like the Earlex. Has anyone ever tried this

Blog Entries
    They're both alcohol with a high volatility... it's going to evaporate pretty quickly either way. Pour a capful of both on the ground and watch how long it takes for them to evaporate, you'll see.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have never tried it; my guess, I'm with Dan, it will be pretty much the same...

There is a product called shellac wet that is made to slow the drying of shellac; give it a bit more time to flow out... Check with Homestead finishing to read all about it.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Yes, isopropal alcohol is a somewhat slower evaporating alcohol. It will easily dissolve shellac flakes. You can also slow down the evaporation by adding a 1/2 ounce of turpentine to a gallon of mixed shellac.
    Howie.........

Another trick for spraying in hot weather is to get an extra length of air hose for your (turbine-style) HVLP, and coil it up the excess in a cooler filled with ice water. I've not personally done this, but some of my local colleagues have with success. The other thing is to do whatever you can to go as quickly as you can to maintain a wet edge while you spray a given surface.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

IPA, as well as butanol, will act as a retarder. I would actually suggest using Behkol. It brushes and sprays well. It's mostly ethanol, with some other alcohols tossed in. I always assumed they were there to act as retarders. I think butanol is most effective, though I've no idea where to buy it. I use Behkol almost exclusively for shellac and have had great results.

Quote Originally Posted by denis tuomey View Post
    I have heard that if you mix shellac flakes w/Isoprophyl instead of DNA (100% or combo, don't know) it will slow down the drying and would be better when spraying in hotter weather, especially with a rig that blows warm air like the Earlex. Has anyone ever tried this
    I haven't used any other turbine HVLP rig beside the Earlex 5000 but the air coming out of the gun doesn't seem all that warm. If I were in Phoenix or were running for an extended period of time I'd feel differently. I have the Earlex 5000, the 5500 is supposed to put out quite a bit more air so it may be warmer. The only shellac I've sprayed so far is SealCoat. Worked great but it was cool, maybe 50*.

Temperature is not the issue with evaporative finishes like shellac or lacquer. The weather factor that most affects evaporative finishes is relative humidity.
    Howie.........

My experience is that ipa does have a slowing effect when wiping shellac. However that improvement over ethanol is minimal. Also dont use rubbing alcohol which is ipa plus water. Getting pure ipa might me more expensive for what it offers.

If your goal is to get smoother results, then I got more dramatic improvements at first by thinning the cut more with straight DNA. I would be leery of adding oils to shellac. It can lead to clouding.