Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench pics & Question......

Workbench pics & Question......

Couple pic's of the workbench progress. As you can see, the top is currently 6" wide laminations that need to be laminated together.

The top is 71" x 30" x 3 1/2" deep. The tool well is 42 1/2" x 6" centered. Open the doors to two slide out trays, will show them in finished pic's.

My question is, should I glue laminate the five sections together or should I drill them and tie together with threaded rod, washers and nuts? If threaded rod is recommended, how many? I'm thinking two on each 30" end, two or three each side of the tool well. What do you think ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

Nice bench, nice view out the shop door also. What is the top made out?? Looks like southern yellow pine with nice grain pattern. I think I would glue it together, it seems to give you a more stable top!

Richard

I would just glue it together...use Titebond 111...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I like glue alone for the simple reason that if you ever want to drill a hole for a holdfast or something there is nothing to hit. If your shop temps can be brought up into the 70 degree range I would use weldwood to eliminate any possibility of creep.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    What is the top made out?? Looks like southern yellow pine with nice grain pattern. Richard
    You are correct, plain ol' SYP 2x8's ripped in half
    Tony

Wow great looking bench! I love working with good old Southern Yeller pine!
    Corey

Tony Very nice Bench. I too love SYP. Could be almost called a hardwood.Nice Job!!
    Jerry

Tony,
    Avoid the threaded rod. Wood moves, they don't. I like a rigid glue for a bench top, but yellow glue will be fine for your application also. I use Unibond 800 as it has a long open time, and is gap filling and quite water resistant. But, I have it around. If you don't, I don't know that I would order it in just for that job.

How will you be handling the tool well "floor." Will it be removable? is there to be room between the bottom of the bench top and the cab. below? Are you doing a tailvise? What kind of front vise? Questions, questions.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Tony, that is a great looking bench! When you get it done, be sure to post finished pics of it, it looks like it will be a treasure!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Another Question ....

What would you finish the top with, I'm planning several coats of wipe on poly, light sanding between. Or should I use something else ?? The top is 2x8 construction lumber, what I call SYP.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated......... Tony
    Tony

I would use a Tung Oil...it is easy to restore and no poblem if you scratch it. It will amber the wood and bring out the grain...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

BLO is the way I go for this kind of thing. It's a fraction of the cost of real Tung Oil, does the same thing and is "instantly" renewable...well, overnight, anyway, so it cures a little! It's also silky smooth and nice to the touch and if you do a couple coats initially, glue scrapes off easily without damaging the top.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tony, I glued mine. Works fine...last long time!

Come to think of it..the Naval Woodshop that I started out in, glued theirs too.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I built a bench somewhat like yours, and used red oak, I glued it. I has not moved in a few years.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

I used a poly shade, several coats, holds up very well, gives the oak bench a golden color. Then once a year, sand it down some and reapply, looks brand new! Are you going to put dog holes in? If so, I drilled mine on the drill press, using the sections, before I glued everything up.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com