Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench pics & Question......

I would glue and use tung oil. Easy to repair. Where did you get those rollers you are using for the outfeed for your planer? I've been looking for somethign along those lines. Nice looking bench. I especially like the sntered tool well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lopez
    Where did you get those rollers you are using for the outfeed for your planer? I've been looking for somethign along those lines.
    They are Wolfcraft (?) rollers, Home Depot in Clearwater had two of them on clearance earlier this year for $25 each. I bought one, get annoyed every time I use it that I didn't buy both of them!
    Tony

I really like tung oil, but for my benches I used minwax polyurethane for floors. It's really hard stuff, it cleans easy, and scratches repair overnight.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    I really like tung oil, but for my benches I used minwax polyurethane for floors. It's really hard stuff, it cleans easy, and scratches repair overnight.

John,
    I would be concerned that the poly is too hard, and that the SYP wouldn't be able to support the finish. I was finishing a project last year with a soft wood, and Steve Mickley ( an excellent finish advisor ) said "not to use a hard finish on a soft wood because the wood would dent and the finish would crack and peel. He had recommended an oil, BLO or Tung. I took his advice and have had no problems.
    Thanks, Brent

Tony,

GREAT Looking bench!!!!!!!!!! I would use TiteBond glue for the top and finish the top with Tung Oil. A quart of Minwax Tung Oil is fairly inexpensive, coats well and curse very well overnight. Then buff out with an old T-shirt and your ready to go. I also coat my old worn out bench with Johnson's Paste Wax. Three coats initially and then once about evey 3 months and no glue will stick to it and easily fixed with more wax. Just an idea.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Beelby
    John,
    I would be concerned that the poly is too hard, and that the SYP wouldn't be able to support the finish. I was finishing a project last year with a soft wood, and Steve Mickley ( an excellent finish advisor ) said "not to use a hard finish on a soft wood because the wood would dent and the finish would crack and peel. He had recommended an oil, BLO or Tung. I took his advice and have had no problems.
    Thanks, Brent
    Yeah..I don't really disagree..Tung oil is probably the way to go...but I haven't had any problems with the poly. It seems that the pine soaked up the poly pretty readily and gave it a deep hardness. I don't have much of a "heavy equipment" on the bench problem but others might.

You're probably right
    John
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    A quart of Minwax Tung Oil is fairly inexpensive, coats well and curse very well overnight.
    Keep in mind that "Minwax Tung Oil Finish" it doesn't have any Tung Oil in it! ("Tung Oil Finish" is just a marketing name for a wiping varnish that they market under several different names. General Finishes does the same with some of their products...if you read the MSDS, "Armour Seal" is the same formula as "Salad Bowl Finish"... )

Marketing. Can't live without it. Can't shoot it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Keep in mind that "Minwax Tung Oil Finish" it doesn't have any Tung Oil in it! ("Tung Oil Finish" is just a marketing name for a wiping varnish that they market under several different names. General Finishes does the same with some of their products...if you read the MSDS, "Armour Seal" is the same formula as "Salad Bowl Finish"... )

Marketing. Can't live without it. Can't shoot it...
    I read the chapter on oil finishes in Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing last night. He too states that what is sold to you isn't what you always get. I went to Lowes and got a can of Formby's Traditional Tung Oil Finish. It does not have ingredients on the can, all it says is "A premium protective varnish for classic, hand-rubbed beauty" on the front and "Formby's Tung Oil finish is a high quality varnish made from a balanced blend of tung oil and other fine penetrating oils" on the back. Going back to Flexner's book, he states Varnish (in a separate chapter from oils) is a combination of oil and resins. Bottom line, I don't think I have pure tung oil.

I also got a can of BLO, under contents it simply says Linseed oil.

Flexner's book says that both pure tung oil and BLO have poor protective qualities and deep penetration. Wiping varnish on the other hand, has shallow penetration yet it's protection is "potentially excellent if built up". I'm thinking the Formby's I got is closer to wiping varnish than pure tung oil, so that's the way to go, although I'm not positive. Flexner's book says that BLO "shouldn't be built up, or it will be soft and gummy". That worries me.

Anyway, I'm totally confused, leaning towards using the Tung Oil finish, but reserve the right to change my mind without advanced notice or reasoning.

I appreciate the discussion, let's keep it going to expand our knowledge base (in my case 'lack of knowledge base' ).
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 04-03-2005 at 9:47 AM. Reason: correct grammer boo-boo.
    Tony

Another vote for gluing, and BLO for finish.

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

I have recomended Formby's Tung oil to my custormers for years to finish their interior wood railings themselves because of the ease of application and fairly good protective quailties it seems to have. I was always under the assumtion that it was a blend of tung oil, varnish, and thinner. The oil penetrated, the varnish built on the surface, and the thinner evaporated. It is also easy to reapply additional coats for more protection as needed. I think it would be a great finish for your workbench.

Richard

Tony, I used formby's tung oil finish on my SYP bench and two years later after heavy use, banging and all around abuse, it has held up fine. Glue drips pop off after they have dried or wipe clean with a wet rag when fresh. As Mark, Jim and others have said, use some type of an oil.