Thread: Dust collection options

Dust collection options

I have a Delta 1.5hp collector with a felt bag (suppose to be 1 micron) for my garage workshop. I have the normal suite of tools, tablesaw, 12.5" planer, 6" jointer, lathe, 18" drum sander, etc. I have a JET air cleaner on the ceiling also. I recently added a Onieda cyclone to my shopvac and have been thinking about adding a trashcan separator to my Dust Collector. However, having read some of Bill Pentz information, I am not sure what my best option is. I want to protect my lungs but don't feel like I have the room or money for a cyclone (no 220 in the garage). I don't think I can move the DC outside without the neighbors getting pissed off. Do I add a HEPA filter to the delta or exhuast it outside or quit woodworking (Bill's information would make me think about it). I see grizzly has upgraded filters available

Anyway curious if anyone has thoughts on what to do to reduce my fine dust.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

A cyclone is the long term best answer but in the meantime get the separator. Get a good bag from Am Filter Co and keep as much dust in the trash can as it will take. A cartridge filter with no real separation will clog until you see and breathe the dust not being sucked due to the cfm loss. At least the bag will shake out - outside- and because it is a lot easier to clean you will likely do it more often. It will need it. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gazda View Post
    I have a Delta 1.5hp collector with a felt bag (suppose to be 1 micron) for my garage workshop. I have the normal suite of tools, tablesaw, 12.5" planer, 6" jointer, lathe, 18" drum sander, etc. I have a JET air cleaner on the ceiling also. I recently added a Onieda cyclone to my shopvac and have been thinking about adding a trashcan separator to my Dust Collector. However, having read some of Bill Pentz information, I am not sure what my best option is. I want to protect my lungs but don't feel like I have the room or money for a cyclone (no 220 in the garage). I don't think I can move the DC outside without the neighbors getting pissed off. Do I add a HEPA filter to the delta or exhuast it outside or quit woodworking (Bill's information would make me think about it). I see grizzly has upgraded filters available

Anyway curious if anyone has thoughts on what to do to reduce my fine dust.
    I'm assuming that your specific question is about fine dust being leaked back into the workshop thru the bag filter media of your Delta single stage dust collector....... I suspect that there is very little leakage and most mostly on the initial "inflation" of the bag when you turn on the dc; I have a 2hp General Internationale w/ a 2 micron bag, notice a little puff of fine dust being shaken loose from the bag upon turning on the machine but it barely registers on my Dyclos dust particle monitor (which may be a purchase to consider to get you information on other dust situations such as adequacy of dust pickup points, etc.), I also have an overhead air filter.....

...exhausting the "fines" outside is probably the ultimate solution (and one I think Bill Prentz recommends) and the safety concern is not do that if your workshop is connected to a combustion based heating system; the "loss of heat from the workshop" issue by doing this has been debated many times and my take is that it is not a major concern; the 'fines' exhausted are so fine that they do not show up the ground, etc. Exhausting outside will also improve the sucking power of your dc a bit but you are not mentioning this as being a problem.

good luck

michael

For me the #1 thing to do would be to wear a P100 Respirator. I would then make and add a Thien separator to the Delta D/C along with a pleated Wynns filter. Run short lengths of D/C hose to your machines and perhaps increase the hose size to 5". Wynns also makes a more efficient filter for the Jet unit which I would add. Develop a procedure in cleaning after woodworking by vacuuming tools and yourself off and running a large rummage sale fan pointed out the door along with your Jet unit for an hour. I typically mop the floor as a final effort at keeping dust to a minimal. Walk in the house and take your respirator off....
    Good luck,
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 04-08-2012 at 1:37 PM.

Check on Phil Thien's postings and website. He has developed a great system that works with your DC.

Rick Potter

I have a similar Jet model (1100 DC) with 1.5HP motor and I have the canister filter. I think it filters better but I still get some fine dust lying around. I think my problem is lack of CFM at the tools. I am using 4" S&D and some flex. The DC is on wheels but I don't move it around. I am in the process of changing my duct over to 6" to increase the CFM. I am going to look at the Thien separator and other pre-separators for use with the planer and jointer. The pre-separator will hurt a little on SP, but the larger 6" duct should help compensate for those losses.

Mike

A lot of tools do not provide for good DC. Newer tools seem to be finally addressing this concern, but in many instances DC is an after thought in the design of most tools.

Lots of CFM seems to be the easiest way to make up for poor or inadequate tool DC design. On the other hand, when DC is a fundamental design concern, you get the Festool line. The euro stationary machines appear to take DC seriously as well. My Dewalt MBF may be dead on accurate and built like a tank, but there is absolutely no way to corral the dust that thing generates. Consequently, I don't use it. It just isn't worth the mess and time spent cleaning up.

I use a HF DC with the Thien baffle and Wynn filter cartridge. On my shop vac I use a Dust Deputy. For most TS and routing activities I use both units. I also have an ambient air cleaner and a Dylos particle counter that helps me keep an eye on things.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.