Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Batteries, Going back to Corded Drills

Tired of Batteries, Going back to Corded Drills

Typically I reach for my cordless drills first, but I want more power and they need charging when I want to work. I'm using my corded drills more often these days.

I think a Retractable Cord reel may be in order to get over the" Cords are such a hassle idea"

Anyone have a favorite corded drill/driver with a clutch? I'm tired of buying and rebuilding batteries.

Only slightly OT .....

I'm with you. Four or five piece Ryobi cordless set ... maybe five batteries. They're ALL always dead when I need them.

Should be a battery replacement gizmo, sold, that allows you to use them in corded mode when you want to/can/need to.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Angry

Mine does not have a clutch, but I use my corded when doing pocket holes. Batteries are a real rip. $80.00 for the batt. when the whole magilla costs $199.00?
    Kinda like havin' to pay extra for the in-out tables for the DeWalt 955.
    I'll get over my rant one of these days.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've been using my two 9.6 V nicad Makita drills for 25 years, and have only bought two batteries at around $35 each in all that time. I use a corded drill for pocket holes, shelf pin holes, and other things where I need a lot of torque or have to drill dozens of holes quickly. But for everything else those two drills have done the job and keep on ticking. I keep one battery in the charger so I always have a fresh one when needed. My charger takes 3 hours, but the new ones can charge a battery in 15 minutes, in some cases, so you shouldn't have to wait long anymore. I wouldn't want to go back to corded drills for everything, especially intallation work.

John

Ok, so I'm not alone! Yes, I just got a quote for $100 to rebuild a pair of batteries plus shipping. So I think I'll get a cord reel and couple of these:

Ryobi 3/8 in. Variable Speed Clutch Driver $39.97 Each

All cordless tools should be lithium ion or better. Nicads are old tech that are accustomed to requiring maintenance and care to get good life from them.

If you really like corded, I suggest and love the snap-on retractable cord reel that was $32 from Costco a while back, then I have a $40 Harbor Freight 3 outlet rectractable cord real (yellow with metal housing). Both work pretty much the same, have breakers built in, and are very convenient to have in your ceilings.

I only own an old skil and craftsman corded drill that works fine. I use it for mixing or prolonged use where a battery may not last very long.

The only time I use a corded drill is when I'm doing some big time drilling. But for everyday drilling and driving, I'll never give up my cordless. I just got a lithium battery drill/driver and it's a lot lighter than my old NiCad units. It's so nice to just grab the drill and go - not having to find the closest outlet and run a cord.

Corded drills have their place, but not for everyday use.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have an old Makita also and two batteries. When it dies I will purchase another Mikita and hope they have not made is "less" over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Ok, so I'm not alone! Yes, I just got a quote for $100 to rebuild a pair of batteries plus shipping. So I think I'll get a cord reel and couple of these:

Ryobi 3/8 in. Variable Speed Clutch Driver $39.97 Each

This is the only corded model I know of that has a clutch. Anyone know of another brand/model?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    All cordless tools should be lithium ion or better. Nicads are old tech that are accustomed to requiring maintenance and care to get good life from them.
    and lithium does not need care either????
    my nicads still out do my lithiums yes they are heavier but after 5 years still work
    lithiums will degrade in 3 years if you use them or not

Get a Milwaukee 0244-1 1/2-in Magnum Drill, 0-700 RPM
    slow enough rpm with enough torque to drive screws and lags
    It will last you a life time of abuse
    Carpe Lignum

I'm scratching my head wondering how our cordless experiences can be so different? I've always used makita cordless drills, I bought 14.4V NiMi sets as soon as they were available, and have since gone to18V lithium ion compacts. I would not give these up for anything, maintenance has been non existent, the NiMi's will charge down if not used for a while, but they charge quick enough and last a long time. The lithium ions don't charge down when idle, last a very long time between charges, and take 15 minutes to full charge. The clutches can't be beat for driving screws or other fasteners. They are not the ideal drills for punching big holes repeatedly, but for small holes, I love them. Perhaps give a new makita a try? Or one of the other quality Li Io set available (my IL loves his hitachi set).

I've been pretty happy with milwakee drills for corded, and have used a very nice rigid 3/8" VS drill at work that seems up to most tasks, but its not a driver per se.

I only own two drills; a 12v impact and a corded DeWalt. Set up works well for me.

I find am utilizing my older Porter Cable 3/8“ T-Handle corded drill more and more. But, not because of the dead or low power battery situation. The reason is that the old T-handle just balances better in my hands.

Am also using my older big Yankee ratchet screwdriver more.

Going back to my roots??….

Andrew

Keep your eye out for Porter Cable 3/8 drills from about the 70's. I use them in the shop instead of cordless. They are small, powerful, and ergonomically as good as it gets and you just can't wear them out. I see them on ebay once in a while. They are so strong that I have used them to stir drywall compound when 1/2" Makita wouldn't do it. They are the rounded looking ones, don't remember the number, but if you want it I can get it next time I am at the shop.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    my nicads still out do my lithiums yes they are heavier but after 5 years still work
    lithiums will degrade in 3 years if you use them or not

I have had a poor experience with Li battery life. The NiCads have definitely outlasted them (and are cheaper to replace/rebuild).

But this thread is about corded tools - and a fair reminder, that there are times when a corded tool is still a great solution. For sure I have overused cordless for some of the heavy duty work. Im not giving up cordless - but at the same time can see where Andrew is coming from so he may have a good experience with it.