Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rough or smooth edges when edge gluing boards?

Quote Originally Posted by HANK METZ View Post
    Although Forrest still makes a good blade, it doesn't have the same cachet as it used to, now it seems to be viewed as "neck jewelry" for woodworkers. Freud have bootstrapped themselves up to a quality level on a par, but at a substantial cost savings, and having had both I now favor the convenience of having two Freud's' to one Forrest for the same money, especially when it's resharpen time.

- Beachside Hank
    It is my opinion that this whole Forrest thing is a hngover from the days when they were about the only game in town. When I first started doing this for a living, there were no carbide blades in the lumber yards. HSS, rip, combo, cutoff and planer, any color you wanted as long as it was HSS.

You had to order out if you wanted carbide, no internet, so no access to industrial stuff, so you went to the back of your black and white FWW and called up Forrest. I still have the first one I bought hanging on the wall. Totally wore out, but I was so proud of that blade. They were very expensive at the time, probably more so than they are now.

I would say that the Frued Industrial blades are the equal of Forrest now, but not the crap sold at the Borg. Diablos are throwaway blades, and the quality of cut is not on par.

Then there are all the other companies that the internet has opened up to us. Its a smorgasbord out there these days! Leitz is my new favorite. And FS Tool. And Tenaru thin kerfs. Oh ya, Onscrud {Leitz} Love the net.

Larry

8" is better

[QUOTE=HANK METZ;1908499]Scott Vroom said:
    ...Sounds more to me like blade envy

That's always been pretty much the case, it falls into the realm of 8" dado sets are superior to 6" threads- it's about bragging rights while both can plough a 1/4" deep groove with equal quality.

- Beachside Hank[/QUOTE

Given identical quality of materials and manufacture an 8" dado is indeed superior to a 6" dado - it's simple cutter geometry.

Can you glue starve a joint? Absolutely. It's all about PSI. Do your build guitars that have 1/10" thick joints? Well then you can certainly starve a glue joint. Are you gluing up a 4" thick bench top? Well you'll never starve that joint unless you have a hydraulic press.

What kind of joint do you want for best results? Well what kind of glue are you using? PVA is the most common amoungst us woodworkers and as good a joint as possible is the answer. Rough? Never. Sprung? Why bother?

Rip glue blades are fast and yield fantastic joints. I've used them for over 20 years and never had a joint fail. In fact most of those joints were invisible.

[QUOTE=Chris Fournier;1909082]
    Scott Vroom said:
    ...Sounds more to me like blade envy

That's always been pretty much the case, it falls into the realm of 8" dado sets are superior to 6" threads- it's about bragging rights while both can plough a 1/4" deep groove with equal quality.

- Beachside Hank[/QUOTE

Given identical quality of materials and manufacture an 8" dado is indeed superior to a 6" dado - it's simple cutter geometry.

Respectful snip...
    I thought I'd heard all the arguments pro and con about dado cutters but I'm always willing to learn more, so Chris, please explain that statement.
    Thanks.

- Beachside Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I no longer use the jointer for edge jointing glue-ups. I find that my Freud glue line rip blade leaves a ready for glue-up edge finish.
    I go with the above option if it looks good and if I feel that is needs a pass on the jointer it gets one. Haven't had a problem yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Now....that choice of words is a bit incendiary, if not downright insulting, and completely unnecessary, IMO.
    Kent, I stated an opinion based on my observations, experience, and years in this craft, just as you have now stated yours. Opinions are like ships; tied up to a pier, a ship can be a safe one, but that’s not what ships are made for.

- Beachside Hank

Kent, I stated an opinion based on my observations, experience, and years in this craft, just as you have now stated yours. Opinions are like ships; tied up to a pier, a ship can be a safe one, but that’s not what ships are made for.

- Beachside Hank
    Your opinions are of course valid - equal to those of every other person here. I offered no opinion on the merits of Forrest or Freud or any other blade. I objected when you commented on the people that own them, rather than voicing an opinion on the product itself. That is what I find inappropriate.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

the blade sharpeners are always impressed when i bring in my forrest in case anyone else needs encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Your opinions are of course valid - equal to those of every other person here. I offered no opinion on the merits of Forrest or Freud or any other blade. I objected when you commented on the people that own them, rather than voicing an opinion on the product itself. That is what I find inappropriate.
    It appears then Kent, my drive- by shot at wry humor plugged you in the sensibilities.
    Having given this exchange ample time for any groundswell of support, and finding it lacking, I’d like to go on and ask if you were at a woodworking show and Forrest was giving out t- shirts that read “I’ve got a Forrest WW1… And you don’t” would you take them to task or take the shirt?

Note to Forrest staff; I hereby freely release the above slogan into the public domain, for both profit and non- profit use.

Not taking myself too seriously, I remain – Beachside Hank

Modern Translation of “Once more unto the breach, dear friends“:
    Once more into the breach dear friends. Once more, or block the wall up with our English dead. In peacetime there’s nothing that so becomes a man as mildness and humility

It appears then Kent, my drive- by shot at wry humor plugged you in the sensibilities.
    Having given this exchange ample time for any groundswell of support, and finding it lacking, I’d like to go on and ask if you were at a woodworking show and Forrest was giving out t- shirts that read “I’ve got a Forrest WW1… And you don’t” would you take them to task or take the shirt?

Note to Forrest staff; I hereby freely release the above slogan into the public domain, for both profit and non- profit use.

Once more into the breach dear friends. Once more, or block the wall up with our English dead. In peacetime there’s nothing that so becomes a man as mildness and humility
    I don't need any tee-shirts. I don't need any saw blades. I don't need a groundswell of support for my thoughts, which were entirely unrelated to any specific product. You feel your comments were humor. I fail to see that, but fair enough. I'll assume your decision to personalize the conversation - by providing counterpoint to my sig line - is a second version of your "humor". I fail to see that as well, and that is a game I will not play.

Good bye, HANK.

PS - You may be in the wrong forum, but that's not my call.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to go and buy a Forrest blade. I hear they're really good. Anybody recommend a good ripping blade for stock thicker than 5/4.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 04-10-2012 at 8:58 PM.

I have a forrest blade,but it scratches my chest too much when I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    LOL! I wear my Forrest outside my bullet proof vest. Which us Forrest blade owners all should own by now, due to the huge amounts of drive by humor shots.

As others mention I use a Freud glue line rip blade and it is plenty smooth for glue ups.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    rofl that's a good one... i can almost hear the rap music blaring in the background as i nick myself silly trying to dance with that thing!

I'll stick my two cents in. As Kent said, you'd do well to stick to making comments about the products and leave "humor" (or lack of it) out of the discussion.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.