Thread: Scandinavian Shrink Boxes

Scandinavian Shrink Boxes

Scandinavian Shrink Boxes – For those of you who went to the AAW Symposium last June in St. Paul, you might have attended to a session with Jim Sannerud. Jim demonstrated how the shrink box is made from a hollowed tree branch with a small kerf in the bottom to fit a dry piece of wood. If all the steps are done correctly, the green wood will shrink around the dry base and create a water tight vessel. The Vikings used these open vessels for drinking or would make tight fitting lids creating containers for storing salt and spices. I was intrigued by what Jim made. Then in the February 2012 edition of American Woodturner there was an article about making the shrink boxes. Soon after the article, I acquired some green birch perfect for this project and decided to give it a try. My first attempt was a failure. I cut the bottom too big and when the wood shrank around the bottom, the sides cracked. I played around a little more and completed these two boxes. It was a fun project that I got to include some carving and painting. The finish is rattle can lacquer, which I think is a little too shiny and I might dull it up a bit with some steel wool. Comments please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty cool Greg. I'm guessing by the index lines that the tops only fit a certain way?

Ted - the top is actually made after the base is completely dry. I made the blue one oval and tried to keep the orange one round. The tops were carved to fit and only fit one way.

Cool boxes Greg.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job, Greg! I agree that the colors are a little bright but they still look good.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Nice boxes Greg! Looks good...
    Billy

That's certainly outta the box turning.----love it----------old forester

Greg, I saw the article and found it interesting. Looks like you did well with these.

very cool ..I have taken the pith out in a big vessel, and then put in a plug when it was dry..never like this. thanks for sharing with us
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Pretty cool work Greg! First I've heard of this style box... will have to look up the article. Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!