Thread: Another bowl

Another bowl

Here is another bowl I did about a month ago. It's was fresh green(dead about a year, sealed and kept in the dark) Mesquite stump at ground level. I turned it endgrain and it was the absolute toughest wood I've ever worked, but it looks to be the prettiest mesuite I've seen so far. It's 3 3/8" tall, 8 7/8" od and the walls are 3/8". Depth is 3 1/16'..... While turning this piece, I had to constantly sharpen after each pass, if not sooner. I like it now that it's done. It is finished with a generous dose of Olive oil...... C&C's welcomed........... Jerry (in Tucson)
    IMG_1327.jpgIMG_1326.jpgIMG_1324.jpg IMG_1322.jpgIMG_1321.jpg.

Jerry, the toolmakers will love you for turning this wood! I see another gouge in your near future. But, it does seem to be worth it - beautifully done.

Wow - that is some beautiful wood! I bet it just glows when held in the light! Nice work Jerry - very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Short of great wood you are not sir!! Beautiful stuff Jerry!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

beautiful work ...

Bueatiful bowl and color. do you know the species perhaps. really tough cutting i bet.------old forester

Really nice bowl Jerry! Cool grain patterns in the wood and the color's different. I really need to get my mesquite root stump cut up!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

you are right..that is spectacular wood
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I like the bowl and the wood, but I would not have used Olive Oil! Never use a cooking oil as it can go rancid.

Beautiful wood and bowl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.