Thread: I'd like to try spray finishing but.....

I'd like to try spray finishing but.....

I'd like to try spray finishing but have no space for a dedicated spray booth nor room to store or set up a temporary spray tent. Is there any way to spray outside and make it work? What about lacquer? I'm a complete novice regarding spraying. I don't own any spray equipment, so I'm open to suggestions there as well. I do have a small compressor. Any help or suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks anyone.
    Tom

i spray outside. i'm using waterborne finishes, they set up quickly so it minimizes contamination. i would not spray oil outside because of the long drying time of oil based products. lacquer and shellac would work as they are fast drying as well.

If you have a small compressor, I'd stay away from a compressor powered gun. Look into the Earlex HVLP systems, alot of bang for the buck. As David stated, spraying waterborne finishes, laquers or shellac outside is not a problem due to quick dry time.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Thanks Jeff and David. Any suggestions on which Earlex model?
    Thanks again,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L. Miller View Post
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    Depends on how much you want to spend. I know there have been quite a few good reports on the 5000, not so
    sure on the 3500. If you want to spend more then look into a 4 stage turbine system, Fuji, Graco both make great systems. I have a Graco and would not trade it for anything.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Tom,

I can't recommend a particular HVLP unit but if you contact Jeff Jewitt @ Homestead finishing he will guide you to the best unit for your needs. Jeff is a nice guy and really knows his stuff.

As for spraying finish... Spraying will not make you a better finisher, only faster. When you are finished with the project no one should be able to tell how you applied the finish... if they, can you didn't apply it properly.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I spray shellac outside with an Earlex. I shoot 2 parts Seal Coat 1 part alcohol. It drys so fast, there isn't much chance to get dust in the finish. My longer term plans are to get one of those 10" square fold up canopies with four wall panels. I could set that up in my driveway at need and have a bit more control keeping the surfaces dust and critter free.

Spraying outside results in more pain than pleasure, IMO. Dust, bugs, even bird doo! Been there - ain't doing that no more.

John

Jerome I hope you meant 10 feet x 10 feet not inches... LOL
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

100_0421.jpg

This is what I use. Not very pretty but works very well, year round, with less than $100 for the entire booth. I ran some cable above the garage door tracks, installed some Harbor Freight tarp clips holding sheets of 6 mil plastic, a painters drop cloth on the floor, some clothespins to hold the sides together, and 3 window fans that I framed to fit under the garage door. When the booth is set up this way the door is up about a foot off the floor. That leaves a little space open at the top of the door. The fans push air out, creating a laminar flow effect of an air curtain spilling down over the front of the booth and sucking the overspray out. I spray shellac and WB lacquer. It takes me about 20 minutes to set up and take down. It's reuseable, as you can tell from the paint on it.

I spray using a Fuji Q4 unit.
    Wood'N'Scout

No, inches. I use a Pym particle generator when I'm finishing (geeky comic book reference <eg>). That keeps happening to me. I got fired from a job once when they delivered a 10" tall scale model of Stone Henge for a rock group I was managing (geeky movie reference <YAEG>.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Jerome I hope you meant 10 feet x 10 feet not inches... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L. Miller View Post
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    I have the 5000 which has been replaced by the 5500. I've used it to spray a couple outdoor pieces, trellis & porch post. Acrylic enamel cut a little with distilled water maybe 5% and it sprayed fine. I sprayed an interior louvered door in the garage without any sort of tent or other covering. A coat of Zinnser SealCoat to prevent grain raising then two coats of 'latex', again cut a bit with water using the 2 mm. tip. It worked great, nice smooth finish and I don't see any trace of overspray on the stuff in the garage. I find it quite remarkable as much air as comes out of a turbine setup - and there's a lot - that there is so little overspray. On the other hand, it there's dust (or loose newspapers) in close proximity to what you're spraying you'll have NO problem finding that . IMO a LVLP (low volume low pressure) gun is better in enclosed spaces but a compressor powered spray setup isn't very portable.

Thanks folks. I could do the setup like Steve. I do have that much room. It looks like it would "pack away" for storage. My shop is climate controlled, so this looks to be a very viable solution. Now, onto picking out a spray rig and learning to use it. Thanks again.
    Tom

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it all packs away into a storage tote with the exception of the fans. The tote size is about 16WX16HX24L. The fans take more room than anything else.

I got my Fuji Q4 set up with compressor, hose, flex hose, 4 needles/aircaps, plastic paint cups, and metal paint cup on Ebay for $450. I'd actually am looking now for another gun.
    Wood'N'Scout

Take a look at these guys. Seem to be very knowledgeable of all their products. http://www.paintsprayersplus.com/c=Q...aint_sprayers/