Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast Drying Dipping Finish?

Fast Drying Dipping Finish?

I use lacquer for all my finishing, however I have a potential project that may need a different approach. I will have hundreds of solid ash blocks that are 4 x 6 x 2. I'm considering a couple of ideas. First is to find a finish that I can dip into, wipe off, set aside to dry QUICKLY and get good coverage in one coat. If I need to dry in a heated area, so be it.

The second idea is to use a large tumbler, maybe a cement mixer, filled with some kind of media, (maybe walnut shells, corn or wood pellets), saturated with a finish that will "rub" the blocks. Years ago, I saw a local guy do this to finish childrens play blocks with success, but I can't locate him now to ask detail questions.

The blocks will be used for a merchandizing display if that matters.

Ideas?

Perry

What are the requirements of the finish?

I see it being a low sheen finish, something that soaks into the wood rather than a surface film. It will get some possible wear since it is a display in a retail environment.

That help?

Perry

Are you needing to finish all six sides of the blocks?

I would use an oil varnish blend (aka Danish oil) to wipe on and set them on painter points or boards with nails sticking up so a six sides can be done at once.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Yes all 6 sides. My memory of using the oil varnish blends, is that they are not fast drying. When I'm looking at doing a few hundred at a time, drying space becomes an issue.

Perry

IMHO, the easiest will be to line them all up, spray them with a couple coats of lacquer, rotate them, then repeat. Lacquer is about the fastest drying durable finish there is. If the blocks need to be food safe then use shellac.

Mineral oil.

Never used mineral oil, but it had crossed my mind that it may be a possibility. However, I don't think I have seen "mineral oil" in the stores or cataloges. What specifically do I need to buy to try as a test?

Perry

Mineral oil.

Go to your local pharmacy, in the laxative section.

Thanks,
    Perry

I wouldn't use mineral oil for a retail display if it risked staining my merchandise. I like Prashun's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I wouldn't use mineral oil for a retail display if it risked staining my merchandise. I like Prashun's idea.
    Wow! How much mineral oil do you leave on the wood? I oil my butcher block all the time, and nothing that has set on it has ever wicked up oil or gotten oil stained.

Nitro Cellulous lacquer is food safe after it dries; as are almost all wood finishes made it the USA since about 1978... LEAD was the main cause for concern.

Spraying a fast drying finish would be much quicker than an oil/varnish blend. As mentioned spray, turn, spray again. Spraying 3 sides each time would require 1 turn per coat...

A sanding sealer may help fill the grain faster and get you to the final coat faster....
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

As a production shop, I am well aware of the time required to properly lacquer these blocks. I need to reduce that labor. That's why I was thinking dipping. Fill a large barrel with "something", dump the blocks in, let soak, remove and wipe off excess, dry, use. Definitely quicker if I can find that "something". If I have too, I could make drying racks and put them in a drying room.

I noticed no one thought much of the tumbler idea. Why not?

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    I noticed no one thought much of the tumbler idea. Why not?

Perry
    I personally have pigeonholed tumblers in my brain into the "ball milling" and "de-burring" application bin, not the wood finishing bin. I've never heard of that technique. Tumblers are also in my brains "let it run for a week" time estimate bin, and not the "hurry up and get 'er done quick" time estimate bin.

Hundreds of 4x6x2 ash blocks won't fit in a cement mixer, unless your cement mixer is mounted to the said truck.